A small idea to help spread the love of Yo

So, I was at Target the other day and they were having a buy one get one half off on board games, puzzles, activity kits, books, movies & video games. They had signs right by the Ducan Butterfly XTs also. Out of curiosity I checked if they were included in the sale too and sure enough they were! That brings the price down to $3.75 each. I picked up a few for myself because I wanted to do a cap swap with a couple and glue the bearing for Fixed Axle February.

I’ve always wanted to carry around some cheaper yoyos with me just in case someone shows interest in learning whenever I’m out somewhere and happen to be throwing. I just never acted on it. I’ve given away a few yoyos in the past but it’s always just been stuff from my personal collection. While I was removing the caps from the Butterflies I bought for myself, I had an idea. I thought it would be cool to buy multiple of each colorway, disassemble them completely and carry all the parts in a bag. Whenever someone shows interest and I offer them a free yoyo they can completely customize the colors of it. I know if someone offered me the chance to build a free custom yoyo when I was a kid just starting to learn that would have been an awesome experience and would have been an awesome memory.

I love introducing new people to the hobby and I think this will be a cool way to get kids interested.

Here’s a picture of the yoyos disassembled. In order to get the caps off easily I had to drill a small hole in between the side of each cap and wall of the yoyo, then pry it off with a small screwdriver. It was a pretty simple process. I also included a picture of the side of the yoyo so you can see the hole.

17 Likes

Kid me would have LOVED this, seems like it could be a fun arts/crafts project too for the artistically inclined.

2 Likes

Yeah I actually thought these would be perfect for dyeing. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at dying yoyos.

1 Like

i am so going to do that

Nice!
A really cool idea.

I gave away my first YoYo today.

I got to talking with lady who works at the post office last week when I was shipping out a throw I sold here through the BST. She mentioned that her son was getting into YoYo after I told her what I was shipping. We spoke a little and that was that.
I sold another throw yesterday so I had to go back to the post office this morning. I packed a Duncan Echo 2 and some strings into a YYE pouch and headed out. I handed her the pouch and pointed out the web site name on the tag. Told her about the training videos and the forums. She seemed blown away. Full disclosure here, the throw had been given to me as a freebie in a deal I had done last year, so it hadn’t cost me anything. It seemed a great way to pass it along though as it wasn’t one I played with.
Then she told me she actually had 2 sons that were getting into throwing…. lol
So, next time someone buys one of my throws on the BST, I’ll pass along another neglected throw from my collection. Paying it forward and spreading the community love getting the next generation of throwers into the hobby.

Enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

8 Likes