a-MAY-zing YoYoFactory B-Grades!

A lot of people hate on the DV888. My understanding is that set up responsively, it was way too grippy and would surprise bind a ton. I never owned a responsive DV888 but it looked like it used the thick response pads you see on the One and responsive Replay, which I personally really dislike. I’d have been pissed if I picked it up as my first throw/first metal. Also sounds like there was some hype it didn’t live up to but I wasn’t around at the time for that.

Check out Tokyo-yo’s video on it. This made me understand some of the sentiment around it.

Unresponsive with regular slim response pads and it’s fine IMO. Just antiquated-feeling, which seems to be the main complaint these days.

2 Likes

That’s a funny complaint :joy: Getting a yoyo that is 10 years old and expecting it to be modern.

It’s a pretty standard yoyo for its era. Expecting more out of it is odd, if that’s what people are doing.

3 Likes

I think part of it is the marketing around the DV888. It’s positioned as a beginner throw but for the asking price, you can get better/more modern. And beginners probably won’t know that it’s an old design.

If you’re buying it to have a 10-year-old throw and you complain that it’s antiquated, then yeah…

Edit: Well you can make the argument that it hasn’t aged as well as, say, the OG Genesis ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

I have been really wanting to try a Nine Dragons. I had to grab one at $14. Even if I don’t care for it I didn’t lose that much. I think it’ll be a neat 5a throw.

2 Likes

Guys, b grade avant garde 2’s

3 Likes

Those AG-2s should be up tomorrow according to IG.

3 Likes

Just copped an AG2!

2 Likes

1 AD

2 Likes

I haven’t jumped on the DV888 hate train. Rip the weird the response that comes standard and throw in flowable, switch the half spec for a normal flat bearing and it can do any combo i can think of. It’s oldschool design, but i love oldschool.

3 Likes

Is my memory wrong then? I remember that the DV888 was a response to the DV8 never getting an official release by Buzz-On due to a patent case against them for the design. Meaning that the DV888 is modeled after a design that is really old. Still fun to throw around after you take out the stock response pads that are really thick.

2 Likes