5th Annual YoYoExpert Halloween Costume Contest! WINNERS CHOSEN!

A “trick” is defined by a particular stunt involving a person or an object that takes some sort of trained skill to accomplish.
The rules said you must be doing a “yoyo trick”.
I see this as a clear " trick" involving a yoyo in motion. While maybe not your average definition of “yoyo trick” it is indeed a trick involving a yoyo. Maybe it falls into “camera trick”? But the same can be said about many of the other photos using certain effects as well to enhance a photo.

I’m sorry you feel that was Dust. But I don’t see much of an issue that would upset you so much.
Just my thoughts.

Good job everyone!

1 Like

I was really kinda feeling the same way, the title is Halloween Costume contest not Halloween Photography contest…

If a kid had taken a picture of a yoyo sitting in his hand would he have been disqualified?

But I guess its Andre’s call since he is hosting the contest.

The winner does sort of feel on the edge of what it seems the parameters of the contest were, based on the rules. It looks cool, but it’s more of a gimmick, set piece type thing than a snapshot of someone in costume on Halloween doing a yoyo trick. I liked some of the runner-ups better, but that’s just the subjective part of it. I like that the contest drummed up some nice entries and it’s only natural that some people that didn’t win would be left disappointed.

For the record, I did not enter.

You guys have to remember that the winner last year tied two strings to the yoyo with one end attached to his finger and the other attached to something we could not see. The yoyo was definitely not doing a trick then either yet people were completely blown away by it (in a good way). I don’t really see what the issue is here as last year’s winner was also using a gimmick.

We’re all Star Wars fans here at YoYoExpert so there may have been some bias towards the winning photo… but hey - We were the judges! :wink:

We try to keep these type of contests and giveaways fun and easy, but in the end it’s impossible to make everyone happy. The criticisms are definitely noted and we’ll try to do it a little differently next time. We’ve got plenty more contest/giveaways in the works!

yes!

But the real thing is, we are all one big yoyo family. YYE are doing these giveaways out of kindness. They do not have to. I am happy from the results of this contest. I did enter and I did not win. And yet, there is always next time :slight_smile:

Yeah, I only quoted you because you were the last person in the thread to give reaction on the winning pictures.

I did not participate so it doesn’t really affect me but I agree. This isn’t really fair to those who followed the rules. 1 of the rules was broken. It is indeed a really great shot, but it does not follow the criteria that was asked. Everyone else was told that they had to be performing a yoyo trick. And then one person doesn’t listen and still wins. Im not blaming the contenders here(congrats to everyone that one) but i am blaming the judges for allowing this to happen.

So I guess it’s okay to under inflate footballs for a championship game.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Ed do this trick.
If I can find the video I’ll post it.

Hahaha I know the trick you’re thinking of!

This was a giveaway we put together relatively last minute because we thought it would be fun for everyone who participated, and so far the only people not enjoying the giveaway are people who did not participate… It was a giveaway, we are not making money or gaining anything here, this isn’t deflate gate.

And as I said - The criticisms are noted and we’ll try to do things differently next time, no need to keep rehashing it.

1 Like

In be 4 the Lock.

Guys,
Just be happy YYE does this stuff.
I did not win but want to thank YYE anyway :slight_smile:

it is really amazing that they do. They don’t have to at all and for that I applaud them. But there was some professionalism that was absent. 1st place winner was def an amazing photo. Really well done and great idea. Just didn’t meet the requirements. If there was a most creative prize, hands down the winner. Heck, def was my favorite of them all but because of the circumstances, I(as a judge) would rule it out. But as stated, it will be taken into account next year. And that part I missed in my last response so I apologize for coming off harsh. I just wanted to speak up cause some had mentioned it was fair.

Garrett- If you felt I was harassing you or anyone else, I apologize cause that was not my intention. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and as someone who wanted to participate and plan to next year(missed the cut off date), it upset me that it wasn’t exactly fair. Thats all.

Anyways, congrats on everyone who won and hope we get can top these costumes next year!

But the real thing is, it is a costume contest. You basically just have to have a yoyo in the pic. The pic who won probably to hours of shooting to find the perfect pic. YYE does respect time and effort. The winner did try hard.

I think we should stop replying to this. So many posts have been about complaining that I feel like we are persuading YYE NOT to do these things.
So let’s just end it here. There is always next year!

How do we claim our prize If we won?

You should have a PM from YYE.

Im back from my short sabbatical, and I must say, I am impressed.

I 100% expected to be ripped apart, chewed up, flamed out, and ground up in response to my post about my discontent. I must say THANKS! Instead of being accused of being a sore loser, a whiny child, or what not, the info was taken as I had hoped (but not expected) for constructive purposes. Not to cry and moan about it, but help make it better in the future.

Just wanted to say thanks to YYE for putting these events on, allowing us to have fun, listening to and incorporating feedback for the betterment of the whole community. Thanks to those who also spoke up as well (on both sides).

Just wanted to give thanks and show my appreciation for taking criticism not-personally. No offense no defense, just open communication. This is prim-o.

Big thumbs up!

2 Likes

Everyone’s mad because that’s what he wants…

http://i.imgur.com/zQoYMDc.jpg

#DontGiveInToAnger

(If you do not follow Star Wars, then disclaimer: THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO INSTIGATE. RATHER, IT’S AN INSIDE MEME KINDA THING)

2 Likes

You should have received a DM on instagram asking for your shipping address for the package. If you did not receive the message, just PM me your information and we will get the prize shipped out right away!