4a Help (plus tips and tricks?)

I just started getting into 4a after buying my first offstring yoyo. I am able to throw and catch the yoyo, as well as a couple basic tricks like barrel rolls. I still have a ton of questions about 4a though. The main two I’m hung up on are:

What kind of string should I use? (I’m using a kitty normal right now. Should I use fat strings for whips or do I need to keep using thin-ish strings so I can do all the tricks?)

How can I get my yoyo to spin fast without having to throw it super high into the air? (I want to be able to practice indoors since the weather isn’t always favorable.)

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi

You can use thick or normal sized string. It comes down to your preference. Both are valid options. Personally I prefer thick string because thick strings resist wind a bit better because thick string is heavier and a thicker string makes open string binds easier for me to perform (an open string bind is when you whip the string into the yoyo to make it bind).

I don’t know how to explain this in words. But I’m sure you can figure it out on your own. Just get more comfortable with throwing a 4a yoyo and experiment with the way you throw the yoyo.

String thickness depends a bit on your yoyo, but on the yoyos I play with that have a 2.2mm gap I use kitty normal. Fat snags too often for me and normal whips and binds just fine.

To get more spin out of the yoyo, pull your TH back during your throw. This also gives the yoyo a stronger backspin so it just comes back towards you and you don’t have to reach forward to catch it after the throw. It’s a little tricky, but once you see the yoyo just naturally coming back towards you once it leaves the string you know you’ve done it properly.

Thanks! This helped a ton.