2015 Battle of the Elders (30+) - People's Choice winners p23

Digging those suicides.

Maybe you should smile more often but what I saw was confidence and style.

https://youtu.be/YcgYbixBzyY

This ended up really really rough (like beyond rough). I had to do it on a 14 year old computer in a very limited time span. I’m under a year.

3 Likes

^^under a year?!
geeez

1 Like

As expected, a small rush of videos in my inbox and this thread! I’ll be replying to folks individually as well, but I just wanted to extend my thanks for everyone submitting. Just waiting for that midnight flurry now. Haha!

Some really top-notch talent in our age demo!

1 Like

Very nicely done. Especially for under a year. Those direction changes are awesome.

1 Like

Thanks, I just discovered Yuuki Spencer about a month ago and in the vids I’ve seen he’s always doing these crazy redirects. I just finally was able to figure out how they work about a week ago.

Some fantastic entries poured in over the last couple days. This should be suitably tough to judge. Looking forward to more entries and eventually the results now.

Impressive skills and enjoyable videos! I watched all the contest vids so far (expect one because of WMG (boo!) blocking it where I am (France)). It’s great to see yoyoing from folks who probably never thought of participating in any contests because they were maybe too (ahem) “old” (like me) to compete so yoyoing was always just for fun (but that’s why we all do it anyways).

And please remember, my fellow older yoyoers…

Throw out yoyos, not your backs

Cheers

1 Like

Wow nice. Good music choice too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lolz, 90’s Will Smith get’s me pumped

I still haven’t figured out how they work. I tried learning Tessa’s a couple weeks ago but gave up. Will try again.

Really liked your video and music. FUN.

1 Like

I think I know which one you’re talking about. I think she had one that was from the one and a half mount like I did. The trick with it is bringing your nonthrow hand closer to your throw hand so you get slack in the string when you go to redirect it- when the string is taught the yoyo just wants to follow the laws of physics/centrifugal force…if that makes sense.

1 Like

So many awesome videos! Makes me wish I had tried to pack more tricks in mine. None the less it was fun making a video for the first time. Cool to see how many big kids we have here.

1 Like

Alright, ladies and gentlemen! We have passed the deadline! At some point in time tomorrow, I will try to get the following done:

1. List of entrants so that you can confirm that your name is on the list. If it’s not on the list, we’ll try to figure out where it fell apart. :wink:

2. A consolidated thread of videos for people (and judges) to watch and enjoy. No YouTube playlist since not all videos are on YouTube. Plus, work. This thread (threads? Should I do one for each division) will also serve as the place to find videos in order to cast People’s Choice awards when the time comes.

I was asked a fair question earlier today: when will we find out who won?

The short answer is that I’m not sure. The judges are volunteering their time and I am not willing to apply any sort of pressure. I’m pretty confident we’ll get our 2015 winners within 2015, though. :wink:

Certainly give it a couple weeks.

So, here’s an interesting dilemna for me… Ideally I wanted a limit of one prize pack per contestant, with the exception of Best Video* and Best Banger (which could coincide with the winning videos). I know it’s a detail I probably should have ironed out earlier, but I was in “analysis paralysis”. Now, I still lean that way… but it also means that I can’t do the random draws until the winners are selected.

Errbody cool with that? It gives us the ability to share prizes with the maximum number of people.

• Regarding “Best Video”… it strikes me that Best Video is Best Video, no matter what. If you had the best set of tricks (per the criteria and the judging panel) and also produced the best video, why shouldn’t you be rewarded for it? While there are some who would correctly recognize that nabbing both 1st place for skill and also “Best Video” would net them an enormously rich victory, wouldn’t it be a victory well earned? I say ‘yea’.
4 Likes

Watched all the videos, and enjoyed every single one of them thoroughly. :smiley:

This contest represents what is so great about yoyoing. Doesn’t matter who you are, what your age is, what background you come from, or what your style is, yoyoing can be done (and enjoyed) by anyone. Really really enjoyed following this contest, no wonder it’s racked up so many sponsors. Good job to everyone who entered. :slight_smile:

This is EXACTLY how I would yoyo to that song. What a tune. Don’t make 'em like that anymore. ;D

1 Like

All this makes sense to me. I’m good with it.

Werd. That’s still what those hip kids say right?

Maybe I should back off on the 90s rap for a couple days…

Really though I’m good with all that.

1 Like

Sounds like its fair to me im good with it

Nice dance and great skills!

1 Like