0a-1a-2a-3a-4a-5a

Does the “A” have any meaning.

1 Like
10 Likes

Wow I didn’t know that. Very interesting piece of history.
I dislike all the A names because they are difficult to remember and it makes explaining playstyles to a non yoyoer more difficult. There is no way that a non yoyoer will remember all the A’s when you explain it to them.

4 Likes

Thats one the most annoying things about trying to bring up different style of play to a non-thrower. I try to just describe them or say what it is, offstring, counterweight, etc.

5 Likes

Use of “A” & “B” is common in lots of sports, so that makes sense.

Our sailing racing also used “A” and “B” fleets. “A” being the faster more experienced sailers. “A” fleet got gold trophies and “B” got brushed aluminum.

If the Yo-Yo community followed the same scheme, I bet “B” would have received Aluminum trophies (maybe plastic :slightly_smiling_face:), but “A” would get Ti trophies.

4 Likes

Thanks @mable

I figured it had to be related to A and B divisions.

I guess I’m really playing 1B then, maybe even 1C. slight_smile:

It would be real cool to have a “ranking” system for yo-yo play. Kind of like belts in karate. A-C or maybe more steps in the quest to become a 1A player. A 5A player is someone who has really mastered counterweight play.

It would get rid of all this beginner, intermediate vague discriminations. When you met someone at a 1C level you’d really know how skilled they are. Even for someone to achieve 1C status might tell you that they are serious enough to set out to achieve such credentials.

2 Likes