Am i the only one who............

play’s 1a with a counter weight (dice) and does not bust any 5a!
So check it-----tried 5a kind of like it but not my thing, after i used the counter weight i could not go back to tie’ing the string around my finger felt wrong with the pick up and play factor of the dice.
Am i a freak on the street, is there any disadvantages of this style of play within 1a…
Here is a short film of 15a as i call it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFoyjd-_qQQ
thanks Justin
p.s just got a very nice new dice! ::slight_smile:

There are a few finer finger workings that would be more difficult with the die there, but other that that it’s all gravy.

As long as it works for you, I don’t see why you shouldn’t do it.

I like it, wicked vid btw. How do hold the C/W whislt in those more complex tricks?

I really don’t think this is a good idea. You need to learn to tie it to your finger like everybody else.
I use to do this my self, this once I stopped I relized how much easier it is to play without holding a die the whole time.

Plus, what about when you go to a contest? They’re not gonna let you compete in 1a while holding a die, they just won’t. And what about 2a? That’s gonna be a tough one.

Elephark says no.

1 Like

Great comments guy’s…2a with a dice good skill’s.
So could i push my car to a local comp, and rock up for abit of 1a with a dice instead of the string around my finger(of course not busting any 5a moves).
Is “1a 2a 3a” etc a style and not where your string is tie’ed?
Thanks
justin

The only style that doesn’t have a string tied to your finger is 5a, outside of combined styles such as elepharks 7a etc. 1a as you know is string tricks. 2a is two looping yoyos. 3a is two string trick yoyos. 4a is offstring. And 5a is freehand.

The only problem with playing 1a, 5a style (holding but not throwing dice) is that in any competition you will be disqualified. The rules plainly state that in 1a the string is tied to your finger. They see is as maybe an advantage.

When I’m at school I keep a 5a yoyo in my pocket so I can bust it out when I’m walking. The counterweight helps because I can take it out and put it away really quick :smiley:

when it comes to going to comps and such, I really reccomend either leaning 5a or tieing the sting to your hand for 1a

i do that all the time. it also does not hurt your finger

When I read the first line of the post, I was like… what the… Is this guy for real? Then I watched the video Freakin sweet! Dude, go ahead and hold the die, nice work!

HOLDING A DIE WHILE DOING 1A IS A DISADVANTAGE!!!

Yeah, and some people say tying the string to your pointer finger is a disadvantage, but that doesn’t stop Tyler Severance from better than almost all of them.

Base of the pointer finger, too. I would think that would be uncomfortable.

So is mobius a differant style then? or is zammy just not allowed to do it in one a compatitions?

Actually, i used to yoyo on the base of my index, and it seems to me, that if you let someone on the street borrow one of your yoyos, they’ll but it there. I think tyler just started there and never got used to the middle finger.

As for the die, i’d drop it. Your fooling yourself. Just spend 15 min playing with it tyed to your finger and i’m fairly confidant it will be comfortable again.

I believe technically even if you don’t release the counterweight it’s still classified as 5A.

That said, nice skills. :slight_smile:

@M2
Specific Rules for One Handed String Trick Freestyles:

At no time shall the yo-yo be removed from the string (i.e. no off-string tricks are allowed). During any periods of time that this rule is violated, the judges shall not grant any points for Technical Execution or Performance Style but shall deduct points for any mistakes, loss of control restarts, yo-yo replacements, etc.

At no time shall a yo-yo with a counter-weight be used. During any periods of time that this rule is violated, the judges shall not grant any points for Technical Execution or Performance Style but shall deduct points for any mistakes, loss of control restarts, yo-yo replacements, etc.

Mobius style is allowed.

Skyrocket type tricks are allowed.

1 Like

And there you have it.

Try doing gobble with that setup.

I think that you should do whatever you like but if you want to ever be in a competition, then try and get used to regular 1a.