Yoyo Performances I'd love to See

The whole point of yoyoing is to look cool. Um yeah…

2 Likes

And it’s completely subjective to say choreography and zoning tricks are more cool looking than dense tech. For the non yoyoer they’re definitely easier to follow but given that the audience for contests isn’t them, why shouldn’t more complex tricks be rewarded?

Also the point of casual yo-yoing can certainly be to look cool for you. But the point of contest yoyoing is to put the best routine together, and that involves a tech score and tries to eliminate as much subjectivity as possible.

2 Likes

Zach won in 2015, that was a full tech routine.

Edit: why the heck is there a cake in my name

3 Likes

It’s your forum anniversary. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Oh neat lol

4 Likes

I’m actually not a casual yoyoer, I compete regularly. Because I like to perform. Competition is where people take yoyoing to the highest levels, and there is a reason for there being music.
If it was just a techfest, you could have the pasty dudes that never come out of their rooms come up, hit their cats cradle tricks while they stand in one place, and leave.
But it’s not. Because that’s lame. And this has been recognized by the people who set up the whole system of competition.
Now, I understand the need for an objective scoring system, I get that. But talking about a pure tech performance?
Come on man, don’t make yoyoing more neckbeardy than it already is.

3 Likes
3 Likes

TBH tech and meta both have their merits. I freestyle that lacks tech/nonmeta movements lacks the innovation to make a freestyle interesting. A freestyle that lacks any meta/showy tricks lacks the pace/excitement that a freestyle should have to maintain interest. The best freestyles have a balance.

On that note, tech has different styles. Some tech is more flashy, some isn’t. I could watch a routine full of tech and be very excited throughout. I could also watch some tech and lose interest in the first minute or so. It just depends on what you like to watch and what you appreciate.

2 Likes

Not trying to say you are, just pointing out that generally it’s the people who are really into yo-young that can appreciate the technical tricks more, and that the flashy tricks are generally (not always) less skill intensive. You’re far from the only person to find intricate tech boring or describe it like it’s cat’s cradle.

I think the divide here is whether or not an individual appreciates the technical aspects of complex tricks more or less than the physical/coordination aspects of the more movement based/zoning tricks. But I definitely don’t think we need to move further in the performance direction at this time.

And this is just subjective (and salty). Not only that but you’ve created this divide where the Chads of yo-yoing aren’t into pure tech. If you need to justify to yourself that you’re still cool even though you yoyo that’s less on anyone else and more on you.

3 Likes

Lol, that’s not quite what I meant by trained dancer. Fortunately for me it’s Friday and I should be able to drink enough to get that picture out of my head.

2 Likes

.[quote=“Durfee, post:29, topic:310769”]
And this is just subjective (and salty)
[/quote]
Idk man, a dweeb hunched over a spider web is pretty objectively lame haha just kidding :smiley:

But yeah I get what you’re saying. I think the real divide here is how far we think it’s worthwhile to peruse some tricks just because they’re hard. I would say no. Some pieces of music are very difficult, but that doesn’t mean they’re pretty

4 Likes

I agree, and I think this is one of these issues where it’s so individual that it’s hard to say who’s right.

4 Likes

I’ve seen this debate before at contests and stuff. I usually just say to each their own

4 Likes

The way bullet three is phrased I’m not sure if you are looking for a training program or a performance, but if it’s the latter you should check out Shu Takada’s performance at World’s this year.

3 Likes

This was my favorite performance at world’s this year.

2 Likes

I thought it was awesome. Front and side style, horizontal, oh, and then let’s throw in a bunch of incredible looping while doing acrobatics on stage. And I’ll wear a mask!

Bravo, sir, bravo.

2 Likes

Probably one of the best freestyles this year was an extremely heavy tech one, one particular one from WYYC last year as well.

1 Like

I think Durfee summed my thoughts on this subject very well. People know the scoring and meta. If a competitor chooses to showcase skill that doesn’t follow the rubric for scoring well, good for them. However, if they or their fans complain about the results afterwards, it makes them look like whiney entitled babies.

1 Like

More Kpop.

4 Likes
1 Like