What is the name of that responsive trick/element that Ed Haponik finishes out a lot of his tricks with?

It’s the one that starts in a sidestyle trapeze, goes into a forward roll, and then floats the yoyo which triggers a response. Does that have a name?

3 Likes

I believe it’s a flyaway.

2 Likes

I cannot locate any info on “flyaway”

1 Like

PM Ed…

He will get back at you

6 Likes

I didn’t want to message him because he seems to want to spend less time on the social media (according to one of his recent IG posts). I was just seeing if anyone else knew. Thanks doc, I might give that a shot if this does not work.

3 Likes

Hey Smiley,

I don’t think the Doc meant that he PM’ed Ed, I think he is asking you to PM Ed (Harponik) and that Ed will get back to you if you do. :slight_smile:

Just thought I would let you know in case you are sitting there waiting for a reply :grin:

1 Like

A little background because I dont know where you are at with responsive play. The response is triggered when you give the yoyo enough slack that the sting catches on the response and begins to wrap around the axle, transaxle, or bearing. Now you know how when throwing a breakaway or around the world as soon as you stop the momentum of the yoyo when its inverted it returns? As soon as the forward momentum stops, the yoyo will begin to fall creating slack in the string and activating the response. A flyaway dismount is the exact same principal, but instead of getting there straight from a breakaway, you are rolling out of a trick. Sorry if this doesnt make sense I’m a bit sleepy as I type this haha.

2 Likes

I know how it works, I do it often. I just wanted to know what it is called. Seems like flyaway is it?

1 Like

Flyaway dismount yep. :slight_smile:

Somersault then a pop up to catch? In the early 00’s the Flyaway was kind of a responsive staple, and as unresponsive took over it (at least to me) retained some caché as a sort of “anti-bind”. I don’t do em as a statement now - it’s just super ingrained. Maybe TOO much if they’re something I always go to (but I don’t care I’ll keep doing them) :joy:

Btw you can always hit me up! I do have hangups regarding social media and being online too much, but if I can answer somebody’s question I feel that’s using it in a good/intentional way.

17 Likes

Thanks a lot, Ed! I always enjoy reading your historical yoyo knowledge :blush:

1 Like

He posted a tutorial on the Bangalore’s IG after this. Nice guy.

4 Likes

Yep, I saw that!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Haha yeah that wasn’t because I assumed anyone didn’t know it - I just figured something I lean on so heavily in my playing I should prob feature to look at some of the fun variations. In the early days of string tricks, it was definitely the case that if you couldn’t flyaway out of it, you didn’t really have the trick! :wink:

5 Likes