What did you get in the mail today? 2021

Why u hating outside the club? U can’t even get in :rofl:

3 Likes

Busy week. I posted the Basilisk D in that topic, but it came from YYE with these two beauts a day or two ago:

And yesterday this haul was on my desk when I got to work thanks to OD and @fatguysnacks247:

33 Likes

Lemme know what you think of the small bearing FH1. I picked one up after I fell in love with my C bearing FH1 but it’s not giving me the same vibes so far. It’s snaggy for me, but maybe it’s because the C bearing one is so perfect when it comes to binds, I’m not used to the similar shape with a smaller bearing.

4 Likes

Im new here, not aware of a “club” to be involved with. Just a CNC dude sharing his opinions of this hobby’s market and trends I’ve seen over the 12+ years I’ve been throwing.

3 Likes

Viszilla is in the swamp! I absolutely love the cracked coat on the Lunar Gravity…but this is it, the ultimate cracked coat! Another prime example of Round Spinning Objects excellence and splendor. Just…prime! #6 of 10 for those keeping track :grin::grin::grin:

I too got lucky, just noticed it on the site when I went to go lookup the updated specs for The End Pt. 2 Finale. Guess it was meant to be, like fate?

23 Likes

Glow discs!!!

19 Likes

Funny. I prefer the C bearing AL and was a little down on the “SBFH1” and thought about putting an unresponsive bearing in it. Then I remembered that good throwers designed it for a reason, so I put a different string on it and started just playing it like I was my Butterfly AL and decided it was a different sort of fun. Not in my top ten, and if you have a butterfly AL, I think I prefer that. It didn’t come with a counterweight btw (not that I’m ready to start that journey yet anyway). I could go on, but probably not with anything helpful.

Now that I’m thinking about it, the Butterfly AL and Sherpa and the SBFH1 are all throws that I think the Red Blood Cell will eclipse for me, so I will probably be selling or trading this at some point.

4 Likes

Ah, see I did put an unresponsive bearing in it before I even threw it. A konkave. And it’s still not as good as my FH1. Maybe I should use slightly thinner string and see if it gets better, because in theory I should love a nice small bearing snappy response, but I’m just finding my regular FH1 to be more snappy and less snaggy.

3 Likes

Take off the caps and grease up the bearing and see how you enjoy it. The freehands feel best when totally responsive to me. It feels like you can play them like a beefed up starburst transaxle yoyo, except now you’ve got killer spin times. Whipping around responsive regens and classic dismounts on the FH1AL feels so nice.

I’ve been so on the fence about getting an SB freehand but I think at this point I’m just waiting to see what the new plastic Freehand One looks like. I’m hoping it’s just an A bearing plastic FH1 with a modern recessed response.

8 Likes

I feel this way about G2. I’m really not trying to throw shade just my thoughts. It really feels like artifical scarcity. And just the other day I saw someone try and sell a new drop swirl for 500$ lol
People gonna do what people gonna do. I just choose to not be a part of that market and thats just my decision for the same reasons you stated

(Ps. G2 ano is amazing and I want a swirl super bad! I totally get why it is the way it is)

6 Likes

“Never mind what’s been selling, it’s what you’re buying” FUGAZI

7 Likes

All of this grousing about the inability to score your favorite ‘boutique’ throw for whatever reason; is just music to their marketing-ears.

I do not participate in this boutique market. It is simply creating a ‘club’ to worship the emperor’s new clothes. If these were truly good yo-yo’s they would be made in larger quantities to make more money from superior design; and they would regularly sell in the aftermarket. That they are ‘limited’ speaks volumes about the design of the product. Where is the huge resale market for these ‘rare’ yo-yo’s? Again; it speaks volumes.

If it is truly a great design; they will make plenty for you to spend your money on. That they are limiting the quantity means that the design is ordinary at best. Do not waste your time and money chasing ghosts. Buy from the best.

6 Likes

To be fair though, some manufacturers don’t have the capital or the resources needed to produce the large quantity runs you describe.

Plus, it’s just bad logic that scarcity/limited runs have any correlation to design/quality.

Something that is rare can’t have a “huge” resale market. Have you thought about maybe the reason you don’t see these throws for sale as often is 1) due to the fact that they are rare and 2) people probably want to hold onto them and not sell as they are likely collectible?

I do wholeheartedly agree with this though LMAO… it’s great marketing they don’t even have to spend a dime on.

5 Likes

In marketing; it makes perfect sense. If you have ordinary designs; then making large numbers will depress the value. When the word gets out that it is not special, sales will dry up, resellers will be stuck with product and the brand-image will suffer.
By making just a few, and selling them all in one day; you maximize your profit on each design while maintaining and even enhancing your brand’s image through consumer’s perception that these are ‘special’ and scarce.
You then further reinforce the consumer’s loyalty by creating a ‘club’. Members of this ‘club’ are encouraged to create a relationship with the brand through correspondence, social media ‘likes’ and other chicanery. This builds affinity and makes negative opinions repressed through loyalty and fear of possibly being left-out of the club and missing out on the next big thing.

5 Likes

“Collectible”? Or “Good”?

Not sure what we are talking about.

1 Like

I thought this thread was specifically created so that people could show what they received in their mail. I must be in the wrong place.

11 Likes

444, black mod44 c bearing, blue mod44 d bearing and a bunch of ricestacks in hopes of adding usable weight to the 444. it adds A gram :sweat_smile: not enough. I’m LOVING the mod44’s :exploding_head:

17 Likes

I think what your missing is that there is a difference between a boutique yoyo company, which is usually 1 or 2 people + whoever they sponsor, and a company like duncan/yyf. Placing orders as a boutique yoyo company is dangerous. If you order too many and the demand isn’t there, you’re probably going to have to close your brand. On the other hand, a company like yyf can afford to blow 10-20k + on a yoyo run and have the credibility/fan base to sell them all, and the capital to back it up if it takes longer than normal. It’s not that boutique brands don’t WANT to offer more of their product, it’s that if they offer too much they’re gonna go under. It has nothing to do with the design itself.

12 Likes

I’ve kind of wondered why creators in this community haven’t pulled from other hobbies where once you’ve got the final prototype, send it around to get reviews, have a big preorder (groupbuy), and then you can buy a few extras to sell afterwards. Mitigate the risk a little bit? I know it’s not exactly a consumer friendly practice, but it can help minimize the risks associated with a boutique company running large batches.

As it stands I’ve only seen 1 or 2 “preorders” run in my short time here.

Not sure how well it would be received though.

1 Like

I believe preorders come with risks as well. You need to order an extra amount of throws in case you have a large number of b grades. If you miscalculate some customers might not end up with the throw and you need to place another order and now its taken 8 months for your preorder to fully be complete.

Also some folks dont like sitting on a customers money for that long. And mom and pop shops dont want to package 500 throws in a week.

I think missing out on drops is part of the game.

5 Likes