What are the most visually iconic tricks/ elements?

I’m wanting to make some yoyo art, and I’m trying to brainstorm tricks that are visually iconic. Right now, I really like the finger spin - helix bind.

The art is going to be in the style of a circa '69 concert poster vibe: something like this, but with yoyo stuff instead:

(image sourced from a local artist Shawn Griggs of Red Eye Laboratories)

17 Likes

Eli hops and arm variations. Especially done by Mickey.
Upside down triangle. Especially done by Yuuki.

9 Likes

talongrinds

1 Like

I second the Eli Hops. First thing that came to mind when you said visually iconic was circular eli hops. I love the idea of helix bind art though. Such a fun and beautiful bind.

6 Likes

Helix and hops are both great. Rock the baby, obvs (palm down, obvs).

Whatever it is, make sure you can vector it, and make sure you put it on a shirt. But not a black shirt.

5 Likes

:joy:

You mean, that I can perform it?

1 Like

That you can convert it to vector-artwork (clean lines, infinitely scalable up and down, great for print)

3 Likes

I really think these look neat…

3 Likes

Towers of all types. BTW Big Tokyo Tower is a nice picture trick, especially after a simpler tower,

Tokyo Tower is within the Yotricks collection.

6 Likes

I’d rather not use low key satanic symbolism lol.

4 Likes

Fair enough. For what it’s worth…I in no way thought of either of these having to do with anything religious (and certainly not ‘satanic’). Didn’t mean to step on anyone’s toes here!

8 Likes

Helix bind is perfect to expand on what’s already in your mind’s eye.
You could always try more than one design and see which one clicks with you more.

The bind suits a vertical frame, other images might be framed differently. Basic composition, landscape/portrait/etc

2 Likes

Yeah what Mark said

That’s why I said it was low key. “Devil horns” upholding an upside down star (pentagram).

It’s subtle, and not really my jam.

3 Likes

I never learned the Star trick.

1 Like

lol I didn’t know how to do the Eiffel Tower till just a couple of days ago! >.<’
There’s lots of tricks I’ve skipped past. One day I’d like to go through a bunch of the basics with a responsive and/or slimline yo and get them down.

4 Likes

Eiffel Tower is iconic. You should also lean the chopsticks tower, the end result looks a bit like what I imagine the Eiffel Tower would look like if it leaned like the Tower of Pisa

3 Likes

I’m not shy, I’ll say it! Walk the :dog: ! (Lol here we go again)

5 Likes

I like this idea @smileypants707. Google “Gary grimshaw posters” for some more potential ideas/inspiration.

Also “mark arminski”. (He’s actually a friend of mine :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Has anyone done a 6-pointed star?

That’s hard to beat, I think.

Towers are pretty iconic.

3 Likes