Well, I think it's the same with yo-yo's ?

That’s cool but it’s silver, not aluminum.  It may be the same, but I’m not completely sure.

yeah it would be cool if a company built yoyos and colored them like that but the yoyos would have to be silver which would make them super expensive. u could try if you have those supplies at your disposal and maybe a broken metal yoyo, but i am not trying it.

If I get the chance I’ll try with my broken Metal Zero.

dont unless you know about and how to use chemicals cause sulfuric acid can really d some damage as well as the fumes. DONT TRY THIS!!!

1 Like

LOL. Maybe u will end up with a WEIRD ???

This exact method wont work for aluminum.

yes it would the only thing i would change is power source and a few other things. But still no one do this sulfuric acid hurts trust me i had a spill and it really screwed up my hands

yeah i know but it can still work it just not be completely even and it wont change color like that and i would use rit dye to dye it cause i dont see a big difference in rit dye and special annodizeing dye just the price

RIT might be able to stick to the metal, but it would rub off really quickly. Anodising actually bonds the color to the metal.

That’s what I said you annodize it then dye. Do you know how to ano?

I know the general idea for it, but I couldn’t do it myself. What would be the point of doing an ano and then dying it?

When you ano a yoyo you just add a thin layer of rust and the pores are still open that’s why after you rinse it you put it in dye then boil it to close it. I wrote a tutorial at one point but took it down cause I was told 10 year old kids would try this but I thought they would never be able to get sulfuric acid so I didn’t think it was that bad

You were asked to remove the information because you babble on incoherently and give awful advice.

If you can decipher what aznenemyxp wrote, he’s somewhat correct in that anodizing doesn’t add color. It only builds an extra thick oxide layer on the surface of aluminum. It just so happens that this layer is like a bunch of microscopic tubes that hold dye really well… then you seal the ends and you get a colored metal.

Kyle

I think that we should respect Andre’s wishes to not discuss how to perform a dangerous procedure, and leave it at that.

The answer to his question is: No. You cannot dye aluminum using the instructions in this video. If you are interested in anodizing aluminum, you can find all kinds of information on the internet that will instruct you in how to do so.

Getting started is pretty expensive, and it’s a difficult and intimidating process. It’s much more complicated than a battery and some RIT dye. I highly recommend being supervised by someone who is very familiar with the entire process if that’s a road you want to travel.

All-in-all, I don’t think it’s worth it unless you have a lot off stuff you want to anodize. If it’s just one or two yo-yos, get in touch with a local anodizing shop and see what they would charge.

That’s true but I don’t think you got what I was saying about the dye. You don’t just put it in the dye like plastic you put it in the acid then the dye.

I understand the anodizing process. The point is that we shouldn’t share bits and pieces of a complicated process and have some kid try it.

Some kid:“Oh! All I need is acid and some RIT dye and I can make my yo-yos all kinds of pretty colors! SWWEET!”

Me:"No, Timmy. It’s much more complicated than that. The chemicals are very dangerous and I don’t want you to get hurt! Let’s leave that kind of thing to the professionals! wink and thumbs up

yeah but i just dont know how a kid can get sulfuric acid

Kids can get anything they want pretty much. They find a way.