Two ways of teaching...

Basically, there are two different ways on how to teach a beginner how to yoyo.
The first way is to learn how to throw properly on a ‘beginner’ responsive and rather high walled plastics, or even fixed axle, with the goal of learning as much of the control as possible. Of course this is with the understanding that these yoyos are normally more difficult hence they are not expected to learn overly complicated tricks with it. Keep in mind that ‘beginner’ yoyos in this case does not equal bad or crappy yoyos.
The second one is to learn straight on ‘the best technological advantage’ piece out there. Start yoyoing with high end unresponsive yoyos with the goal of making learning easier and faster. Maybe not technically high end like the expensive ones, but you get the point, learn on the good stuff to keep yourself from getting discouraged early on.
Personally I’m the first type person. I think the best way to learn yoyoing is to have a grasp on the basics and learn to have full control of the yoyo first, so in the end they can use any yoyo with ease and can start exploring new stuff easier. I feel like if you learn it on the easier yoyos right away, that actually only gives an illusion of control, I’m talking about tilt control and string positioning to prevent snagging, which is essential.
What do you think?

2 Likes