Turning Point Mustang and Mustang ES review and comparison

—Turning Point Mustang and Mustang ES Honest Review—

Mustang Crack Coated Specs (from TP store)
Diameter: 56.1 mm
Weight: 66.2 g
Width: 42.6 mm
Bearing: NSK Micro Platinum

Mustang ES Specs (from TP store)
Diameter: 56.0 mm
Weight: 68.7 g
Width: 42.4 mm
Bearing: NSK Micro Platinum

Okay, so Mustang is not a new thing, as it was released back then in 2018 as Takeshi Matsuura’s signature yoyo. However, there is not much review about Mustang and Mustang ES, or the comparison between them. So, now that I use them for quite some time, I will try to give my best review.

First glance:
Both regular Mustang and ES came in a simple yet elegant wooden box, together with the accessories: TP pouch, string, spare pads, spare titanium axle, plus a silica gel. You can immediately feel how premium these yoyos are. I got a crack coated for the regular Mustang and RAW for the ES version. The crack coated feels really smooth, and I got information from Jordan Walker that this coating is kinda like a blasted coating, but the crack pattern itself is a laser engraving. It looks awesome! One noticeable difference between them is that ES has thicker outer ring (see picture).

On the string:
Mustang: This yoyo is very smooooth, I can’t feel any vibe on the yoyo and the string. The bearing is also considerably quiet, maybe only second to OD 10-ball bearing. Mustang plays very light on the string. This yoyo is very stable, but due to the light feeling, it is very maneuverable. One thing for sure, it spins foreeever!! It definitely does not spins very powerfully, but rather, it maintains the RPM pretty well, thus maintain the spintime as well. Therefore, I’m not surprised that Takeshi pulled off a crazy long combo using regular Mustang at World 18. It’s not snaggy at all, and multi-layered string is definitely not a problem. Due to the finish, grind is very doable using crack coated Mustang.

Mustang ES: This is the heavier version of regular Mustang. The difference in weight is around 2.5–3 g (also depends on the coating/finish or axle maybe). I can immediately feel the difference with regular Mustang. ES feels more powerful, heavier, slower, and less maneuverable than regular Mustang. But don’t let the weight fools you, ES feels considerably light for a 68-69 g yoyo, probably because of the material and how thin the inner wall (so more rim weight). My ES is also very smooooth, without any vibe at all. Bearing is also quiet. Spintime is longer than regular Mustang. And it is also able handle multi-layered string very well.

Left to right: Mustang, Draupnir, Mustang ES, Sleipnir Take That

Conclusion:
Without a doubt, Mustang and ES are two of the best competition yoyos in the market right now. And to be honest, the only Titanium yoyo that is actively used in competition (by Takeshi only, of course LOL) *cmiiw for this fact, btw. Regular Mustang and ES plays very differently, so if you decide to finally treat yourself to buy one, please choose one that suits your play style better. The price is pretty much (very) intimidating, 49,800 JPY for RAW and 64,800 JPY for crack coated. But believe me, either you are a professional player seeking for perfection or yoyo collector, Mustang and Mustang ES will make you happy.

If you have opinion about the yoyos or the review itself, just comment or hmu, guys! Thanks for reading :pray:

22 Likes

Sick Review @Doohan!

Yoyo envy here lol

8 Likes

I’ve always been curious about that cracked finish. It looks amazing and it sounds like it actually grinds well too? Presumably better than the Mustang ES…

Is it a finish that’s only achievable on titanium, or are there aluminum yoyos with this finish too?

4 Likes

thank you @Doohan

3 Likes

Yeah, tbh I don’t know what exactly that finish is. It has pretty smooth surface. Not as good as beadblast for grinding, but good enough for simple grind.

As for application to aluminium, maybe other annodization expert can help to answer?

3 Likes

Thanks for the review, I’ve been eyeing these two models for a while now.

Which do you prefer?

2 Likes

I prefer the regular one. Maybe because now my taste is tended to lighter or floatier yoyo lol :laughing:

3 Likes

Arrgh I need a crackle finish yo-yo, as many as I have in my collection (it’s kind of obscene lol) I don’t have any crackle yo-yos. If anyone has one they want to sell PM me! For the reals!

4 Likes

Bro I just read this. Great job. This is definitely one I need in my collection. Appreciate you taking the time to talk about them. I prefer a lighter throw so the mustang would be perfect for me.

1 Like

How many you up to now? Over 1000 yet?

1 Like