SPYY TYY-01 Gap Width

I was just taking a look at the new SPYY TYY-01 and I noticed that it’s gap width is just 4.0 mm.

Now, we all know that SPYY really know their stuff, but does that sound a little narrow to be entirely functional to you?

I haven’t used it and if I did, I might soon realize that my uncertainty was totally unwarranted, but I have other yoyos with a gap of 4.0 mm and find them quite temperamental and unforgiving when I try certain trick elements.

But perhaps this is just my experience, and better players don’t have this problem.

What are your thoughts? Anyone own one that can comment on how it plays?

It’s a nice yo-yo, but definitely not my specs, in that regard. It definitely doesn’t like that double loop around the bearing that I do. I can just undo it, so it’s not a big deal. I noticed it too, but if there are going to be so many titaniums this year, it’s okay to have something a little different in the mix.

After breaking in the response, it seems to be fine for me with multiple strings in the gap. But it isn’t as forgiving and snags more so than something with a wider gap obviously.

lol 4mm used to be big. it’s got enough gap to handle anything i throw at it. the pads are definitely better after they break in. if you are impatient, you can swap em out for something thinner (09 yyr irpads work great for this). even as someone who genuinely likes a responsive yo-yo, i never really understood that double-loop thing totalartist, but to each their own.

tyy has been on me since i got it a month ago. i’m loving it. i’ll grant you that steve buffel is a good friend and a truly outstanding dude, and i would WANT to like his yo-yo’s even if i didn’t. but that is NOT the case here. i think it’s among the best models he’s done (and, obviously, in a very interesting medium). i’m kind of at a loss as to how so many people were “so sad” to hear of spyy going the way and “so psyched” for their rebirth in titanium… and yet these are still no problem to score.

I would argue that is fine for you because… Well…

You’re Ed.

i know that’s meant to be a compliment (which is very strange, but i appreciate it).
however, i’m not able to negotiate a yo-yo like this because “i’m ed”. in fact i don’t have ANY intrinsic quality which would make me better able to use ANY yo-yo than ANYONE else. i’ve just worked at it.

and this is just a good yo-yo.

1 Like

Haha, yes of course. I know you’ve been doing it for a long time and have worked hard to become as proficient as you are.

I’ll take it from you that the gap doesn’t hold anything back.

Eye candies.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5745/23911461796_31463f9e92_z.jpgTYY by Total Artist, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1504/23855052051_18f547e7e8_z.jpgTYYb by Total Artist, on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5701/23641884560_e5e023c4a8_z.jpgTYYc by Total Artist, on Flickr

Your uncertainty is Totally unwarranted. I own #033.

In order to synchronize your perspective to achieve clarity in the relationship of gap width to performance; think of this>

Steve Buffel has studied yoyo design and construction for ‘years’. He is a Perfectionist. He understands that anything short of doing something right, is doing it wrong.

Every SPYY model he released in the last several years was the result of intensive work. Steve never just pumped out a New model.

As each model was released, you may have noticed how he made each new yoyo ‘noticably different’ from the others.

By constantly changing up designs, he gained an even broader understanding of what works. And what ‘works even better’.

After making 10,000 yoyos, Steve just decided to concentrate on other things to generate Capital.

But he retained All he learned for future use, lol.

When he took on the Titanium challenge; he was basically coming out of retirement to build a Titanium yoyo utilizing his extensive database of experience to make another amazing yoyo.

The specs of the SPYY Ti were finalized only after ‘a whole lotta work’. The: diameter, width, weight, gap, etc. were all calculated to result in this Production model. Nothing was random. The gap is exactly what Steve felt would be an integral part of a top performing yoyo.

The SPYY Titanium yoyo is a perfect example of 'When you study diligently and do all your homework correctly, you will probably get an ‘A’ in the Class.

An Excellent yoyo.

4mm is fine…

Go back in yoyo history for a minute. In the late 90’s before Yoyojam started using ‘C’ size bearings; guys like Paul Escolar were banging out Outstanding tricks on yoyos with gaps around 3mm if that, lol.

Some of the tricks Paul invented way back then are still listed in the YYE learn section as higher difficulty level tricks.

I would bet my favorite body parts that most players that currently step on stages around the World and win or place in major Yoyo Contests; haven’t the slightest clue to the exact width of their yoyo gaps.

No problem.

I am not saying 4 is a/the magic number. But 4mm Works just fine with the SPYY Ti yoyo.

If Steve didn’t think so, it would not be 4mm.

2 Likes

^^^
By your reasoning, no aspect of a SPYY design can ever be questioned. Only the divine get that pass from me.

No one wants a snaggy yo-yo. If that snaggy yo-yo is made of Titanium, that increased performance also applies to the pain department.

Titanium hurts.

Do you find you get snags on 4 mm gaps?

i’m just sayin’… that’s a pretty thin line. :wink:

the gap REALLY isn’t an issue with regard to playing “snaggy”. a cherry bomb is “snaggy”. a new renegade is “snaggy” (although like this yo-yo, after you play it awhile, it becomes absolute butter). with this profile/gap/bearing, “snaggy” is just not the right word. also, if you’re really concerned, the difference between a 4mm gap and a 4.75mm gap can honestly be made up for by just using a thinner string.

the only issue i’ve heard from people who have played one is that the pads need to break in. as you can see from the yye gap shot, they are JUST flush with the walls. that, combined with the 4mm gap, can give you some unwanted slowdown on layered tricks. however, if you either play the tyy hard for a week OR switch to a thinner pad OR change to a thinner string, the issue disappears entirely.

lol i forgot to post this video, which i posted THE DAY AFTER i got my tyy in the mail. this is with the stock pads and my favorite type x string. i’ll admit i’m not the greatest at these new-fangled shiny-metal ball-bearin’ yo-yo’s, but i feel like this combo is a reasonable argument against it being “snaggy”.

What’s more likely to cause snag is response gap width (gap between one pad to another) in addition to how sticky the pads are, not the actual yoyo gap width. I have a Yoyojam Odyssey that is very snaggy because it has o-rings stock and some 3.5mm-ish gap, swapping to new pads still somewhat snaggy, I used a pair of worn out pads and it plays like a dream.

Actually you are using your ‘reasoning’ to draw an unreasonable conclusion as to what I actually meant.

You can question anything you want forever. But questions do not change facts.

Questions are mainly reserved for: skeptics, those who don’t understand, those who can’t understand or those who refuse to understand.

Your response to my post places you somewhere in that category.

That is not my problem.

It’s simply a difference between what I know and what you don’t know.

Your ‘divine pass’ theory seems to indicate you possess a much higher level of yoyo understanding and yoyo functionality than you actually do.

That also is not my problem.

1 Like