SUCCESS! Removing Duncan caps

Hi yall! Im trying to remove the caps off my freehand, freehand one and Butterfly XT so that I can add weight rings to them.

Any suggestions on how to do that without buying extra tools? I dont have a suction cup or something like that.

Wondering what folks around here may have done if they have removed or replaced their duncan caps.

1 Like

Do you have a small Bicycle pump? Any old air pump really

2 Likes

The bike or ball pump works great. Disassemble the yo-yo, remove the axle, the axle holes are hollow. Take a pump with a ball inflating attachment, wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the end to make a seal, put it in the hole and pump. The cap will shoot right off. I lay them face down on a pillow when pumping to keep the caps from flying.

4 Likes

with freehand one i used a bike pump with a ball needle. you should remove the axle first so you can put the needle into the half. put some silicone tape on the needle to build it up to the axle hole, screw the half onto it and pump. you might need to hold the pump needle pressed against the half. pops off pretty violently and loud so i recommend putting the yoyo half in a bag while you pump the cap off.

3 Likes

4 Likes
1 Like

Butterfly xt is nut and bolt design, just push on the bolt and the cap will pop out and then thread the bolt into the nut in the other half and push on the bolt and pop the cap out

2 Likes

Pushing the caps with the bolt can work but it can also damage the caps. I would be very mindful of that, should you choose this route.

An air pump or suction cup is definitely your best bet.

1 Like

Welp, ruined my XT sigh.

Did get the caps off the freehand and have a freehand pro already cupless.

I aint risking it with my FH One.

I tried the pump way but just broke the needle so pushed through with the axel screws. The XT is like welded shut tho so i ruined the cap, then tried hammering it through lol. I didnt mind the XT as much since they are like $6 ill probably go grab a couple more to remake my half swap ok that lol.

Its silly these caps are so tight, like dayum.

Fyi with the XTs the pump doesnt work because you cant take the screw off its not an axle. So you have to push through or suction cup it off, but i cant imagine how hard you must pull. This thing did not budge a millimeter lol

1 Like

Update 3:

I ended up breaking the caps on purpose.

In theory if I replace the screw it should still work. Anyone know what size this is? Ill try the hardware store tomorrow.

Im half curious what would need to happen to turn this butterfly completely unresponsive. But i dont really want to bother with shims so prob not going there. I hate starburst unresponsive anyway lol.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with the screw? It looks fine in the picture. Unsure on the size, but you can just take it to a hardware store and make sure you get the right size.

I hesitate to suggest it because breaking a pump needle isn’t something that should ever happen and trying to hammer the screw through the cap seems odd and excessive, but you can almost surely just remove XT caps safely if you are very careful and gentle with a knife if you’re planning to purchase more XTs. The nut side should come off easily using a pump. The screw side should be the only one you would have to use a knife on. And I will again emphasize carefully and gently.

FH One caps will easily come off with the pump method without issue. The cap will make a loud noise and go flying so just make sure you shoot them into a blanket or something soft where they can’t get lost or damaged or hit you or a pet.

It’s 4mm not sure on the length

Screw is stripped. Just needs a replacement.

I got the caps off, but the best way was just to break through them. I wouldnt recommend a knife, not with the amount of force I had to use.

My though after experimenting is that at least with the XT its best to just punch a few holes through the cap and pry it open once there is enough leverage on multiple sides.

No way on the knife, nope lol.

For me I smack the axel which is screwed in on a table and the caps pop off

Yeah, 100% this worked for 2 of my duncans. Not the XT though.

Update #4: Success!!!

I bought a new axle! I found it at Home Depot.

I also bought a couple of new XT’s cuz i couldnt help myself. I love these things.

BTW, I’m not sure why but the new XTs are super smoothe. Might be the brand new bearings in there, but compared to my old ones they feel great!

Pics of the final results!

Btw I got the weight rings from Layer Infinity. These Canadian companies really know what they are doing lol. :100:% recommend them.

For reference, the axle turned out to be this bolt in case anyone ever needs a replacement.

7 Likes