Regarding bearings. (May stir things up)

This thread appears to be for the competitive yoyoer, not the casual one. Plus, it’s been said hundreds of times already that the brand, the yoyo, the bearing or whatever doesn’t effect your play as much as time and practice. Yet I am human, have my opinions and have my own preferences. I have fun yoyoing. I have fun trying out different yoyos and different accessories. What I NEED isn’t in question here. I enjoy a lot of variety and that’s what I’ll invest in.

This is no different than my dad complaining that people don’t NEED a cell phone or texting. “Let 'em leave me a message!”, he’ll say, ignoring the fact that answering machines are a technological change as well. Before that, there were answering services, and before that the phone would just keep ringing and ringing until the caller decided to hang up. These changes occurred because someone wanted them. These bearings exist because someone wanted them too. If people like them, they should buy them.

I think spending over $25,000 on a car is a waste of money when the primary design of the car was to get you from point A to point B. Yet people buy cars for $40,000-$70,000 because that’s what they want. Do they NEED it? Who am I to say? To which I ask you, Josh. Who are you to say what anyone else needs? Can I just throw please?

2 Likes

Despite the thoughts expressed by HaruRay, there are things I do agree and things I disagree with.

First, the bearing, like the yoyo itself, is a matter of personal preferences. There is no “right”, there’s only “what’s right for the player”. I am of the opinion that should one have the time, MONEY and inclination, one could invest in some different bearings and swap them in and out of yoyos to find if any bearings do make a difference, be it positive OR negative.

Championships, at least in 1A, are being won on shaped bearings these days. Is it because shaped bearings are better? Not necessarily. It is because at least for that player and that yoyo, they have decided a shaped bearing was the best bearing for them in that situation. I’m not saying flats are bad, I’m just stating facts right now.

The point that all you need is a flat bearing has validity. Most yoyos come with a flat bearing. Honestly, if all else fails, a flat bearing will get the job done. Or, if your preferences are for flat bearings, then you get the most choices and options.

Shaped bearings, especially the grooved bearings and the KK can lead to string bunching. The grooved bearings hold the string to the center, which prevents natural string movement in the gap. The KK doesn’t have a groove, but it does force string layers into the center, which will also lead to bunching and preventing natural string movement. Both of these issues can cause problems. The CBC CenterTrac is a flat bearing with flared sides, with the concept being “Keep the string away from the response during play”, which does work, and the flat center portion helps allow for more natural string movement. The Terrapin X Wing Cut bearings have a slight shape, which is small enough to encourage string centering, but is so slight that it doesn’t hinder natural string movement.

One of the big issues is that many players think incorrectly that adding a shaped bearing is going to fix their problems or increase sleep times. As a relatively new player(23 months as of now), let me assure you that this is not the solution you should be considering. It’s completely false. Your throw is the best thing you can work on to improve things. You need to know how to throw hard and straight. Otherwise, all you’re doing is putting a fancy bearing in a yoyo, and you’re centering the string on a crooked spinning yoyo, which ultimately isn’t addressing the problem. While some bearings spin longer which can translate to longer spin times, it’s ultimately the skill of the thrower that ultimately determines how long the yoyo can sleep and spin.

I do want to address sleep time briefly, or perhaps I’m addressing spin time. Look, as long as you can get though the combos you want or need to get to and can bind it back at the end, then honestly who gives a crap about sleep time? Watching contest videos, combos are often 20 seconds or less, but there can be the occasional “mondo combo” that can be over a minute. Most are 10 seconds or less. They key to these? A good strong throw and good technique. In other words: lots and LOTS of hard work. Yoyo is a skill toy, so you get out of it what you put into it. Your success is earned, not awarded or granted.

Regarding bearing cleaning, I am a big fan of cleaning the bearing. It is through cleaning the bearing that I have discovered how many bad bearings I have. Hey, there’s a difference between “spinning” and “spinning well”. and most of the time, merely spinning appears to be acceptable before shipping. Playing dry, lubed or Dry Play treated is a matter of personal preference. Many companies have their bearings pre-lubed and over-lubed, and sometimes greased!!! I gotta get to “zero”, then work my way from there. While this isn’t practical for everyone, it’s what I recommend.

For the most part, I use flat bearings. I like them. Most of my yoyos ship with flat bearing stock. A flat bearing can and will get the job done. There’s absolutely NOTHING wrong with a flat bearing unless the bearing itself is defective. Taking a variant of that, provided the bearing is in good condition(I’ve had some stock bearings be defective and/or sub-par), the bearing that shipped with the yoyo is fine.

The biggest factor is your skill level. If your skills are good, then who knows, maybe the bearing will or won’t make a difference. I’ve put shaped bearings in some yoyos and have loved it, but in other yoyos, hated it and went back to the flat one it shipped with. It’s all about preferences. Just remember, if you’re trying to fix your problem with a bearing “upgrade”, that’s not going to address or resolve the issue. Work hard, get better, throw more, improve your skills. Yes, it takes time. There is no quick fix. At the same time, I can’t stop you from spending money and experimenting with bearings either. HaruRay and myself want you to save money, and when you do spend, spend wisely. Spent TIME improving, not spending money to “fix” a problem that really doesn’t exist.

I will agree that a flat bearing is all you need. However, we don’t 100% see eye to eye on this issue, which is fine too, but I do completely agree with the spirit and intent of his message. Understand your end goal: becoming a better yoyo player. A flat bearing will take you from zero to champion if you let it. Top brands like General Yo and One Drop use flats. They wouldn’t use flats if they didn’t feel confident in their configurations. HaruRay’s sponsor, Mad House, I think uses only flat bearings, but I could be wrong.

In the end, a centered string on a bad throw is a centered string on a bad throw. No shaped bearing is going to help fix that problem.

1 Like

It’s about time this popped up, I’ve thought this for a while to. I’ve said before, I’ve never bought a bearing, I have gotton replacements for broken or bad ones, but never bought one.

I have most bearings stock with the yoyo it came with, except some I mix and match with other yoyos.

I also don’t buy fancy string, I buy what works and is just as good as others.

So far I have not noticed any difference in string I’ve tried or bearings.

All my bearings are stock with the bought one, and I just use 100% poly YYE string.

I would like to try different string, but I’m not into spending extra on something a tad thicker/thinner slicker/softer.

Im in the same boat as SR. I’m honestly not that picky. And that goes as far as i don’t care if it centers strings or not. To be honest i can’t even really tell the difference… And i consider myself pretty advanced, I’m banging out horizontal if that gives you any idea. So yeah, i play 3-4 hours between 12 and 5 am almost every night… I cannot even recall what bearings are in what throw… It honestly doesn’t affect play enough for me to notice.
I don’t even notice this mysterious “string bunching” but if you say it happens then i guess
Except for sound a lot do sound different.

I got this concave 10 ball from a myy. It is bone dry and absolutely silent

all that being said, I do like center tracs and 10 balls, they just seem to require the least amount of maintenance, but I know that’s probably not true… it’s just some weird feeling I get based on the random results I’ve gotten. Not going to pass them off as the best just because I used Y bearing and they required less maintenance X bearing.

Hmm… That’s not a very good sales pitch for Maddog Strings… ;D

On topic - I haven’t been throwing non-stop as long as the OP but I can definitely tell a difference in spin time from one bearing to another. I may just be nuts but the spin time I get from a ceramic KK exceeded all others.

I forgot bout them O-rings. XD, My Hybrid hitman has a KK in it. But yeah, anything past a base steel bearing or KK is overkill, in my eyes.

Yup.

I use what bearing is in the yo, and unless it is responsive or causes a noticeable vibe, I just leave it. I don’t really notice much difference in different bearings.

Extra, it’s like £3.00 for 10 of them, it’s not much.

I’m afraid I have to disagree with you on the string. I was throwing my Genesis for 4 hours straight the other night with a Hogwhips Plasmat string, quite comfortably. However when I switched to another yoyo with 100% poly I found the string burning into my fingers a lot more, to the point where after a while it became quite painful so I switched back.

So between that and thicker strings being better for slacks and binds, I have to say that strings do make a difference. Perhaps not in play, but definitely in comfort.

Strings make an enormous difference. Anybody who says otherwise hasn’t played strings that are “different” enough.

heavy lubed responsive ten ball

Silky smooooth

You may be right, but it’s not I like I feel cheated and lied to for having bought 10 balls, KonKaves, etc.

I’m not some mindless drone that bought into a false bearing paradigm, overspent, and wishes things had been different. I like having fancy stuff.

I absolutely love to play with different bearings. Flats, 10Balls, CenterTracs, Trifectas, Konkaves, etc…

Pairing certain bearings with certain yoyos can create a whole new feel and experience.
Bearings can give your throws a new personality. It changes the sound, smoothness, and how the string interacts with the response.

I agree that fancy rotary blade 12 ball sonic the hedgehog type X bearings won’t really improve your spin time… but that is not why I like them.

Perfect example: I have 2 buddies that throw. They each have supernova’s. One has a centertrac while the other has a konkave. I played with both, and they felt like completely different yoyos.
Which one you prefer is up to you, but you can’t deny that bearings make a difference.

By “difference” I don’t mean improvement… I just mean “different”.

I like terrapin X bearings. In my personal experience, they require less maintenance, and are quieter. If they spin a little faster, that’s great. I just like 'em. And that’s why I buy 'em. Nothing you can say can change that.

There is a difference.

…But it won’t make you a better player, if that’s what you are talking about.

Boutique strings are not necessary. Normal poly is sufficient. You are better off learning proper technique that can be done with any string, instead of relying on the string to help you out.

Just my two cents, anyway. No drama this time. I just don’t want people to think they need boutique strings to be a better player, or to do certain tricks.

I disagree. Time and practice makes you better at anything. If a bearing or string keeps you throwing more and enjoying it more, you WILL get better because you’re just practicing more.

Even the shape of a yoyo makes certain tricks easier to pull off (high wall vs. V shape). Try doing boingy-boings with the Yelets. It’s way harder than with a wider throw like an Irony. Should I be ONLY throwing with the Yelets because that’s all I need? C’mon…

Touche. That is always the most important factor, personal preference and enjoyment.

If we are talking about yoyo statistics it’s a whole other story, but I believe that yoyo bearings will not have a direct impact on how good of a yoyoer you are.

No, it’s really not it’s much simpler than that. He was telling ME what I need. Who is he to tell me what I need? I wasn’t blindly stating anything. I’m well informed of my opinion and my extensive experience with bearings.

This man has nailed it 100%. If I want to waste my money on what I consider higher quality bearings you better believe I’m going to. There is absolutely a difference in quality of bearings. I enjoy yoyoing 500% more with a quality bearing.

I’ve got a pile of “standard flat bearings” that are siezed up and continue to sieze up after proper cleaning. I don’t have 1 One Drop 10-ball that’s seized up, and they have never needed cleaning. There are probably a dozen other reasons why I prefer higher quality bearings, and there are definitely benefits to concave bearings, ceramic bearings, grooved bearings, etc. What someone needs is up to that individual, not someone an internet forum.

2 Likes