New release from One Drop X OhYesYo - The Lunar Eclipse!

From One Drop x OhYesYo: The Lunar Eclipse. First there was the Great Solar Eclipse and now, once again astronomical forces have aligned to bring One Drop and OhYesYo together to make a yo-yo where the sum is greater than the parts. Coffin Nachtmahr, Founder of OhYesYo, Frequency Wavelength Modulator, and Yo-yoing’s Modern Anti-Hero, tells the story of the Lunar Eclipse:

How it came to be: This Lunar Eclipse was born purely out of desire and not necessity. A random comment in a few threads online gave me this idea somewhere around 2019. If I could pinpoint its origin it was probably Andrew Swenson’s idea. After the release of the Eclipse, lots of people asked me endlessly if we would release more or perhaps do an updated version in 7075. I kept hopeful about the idea but didn’t want to rush into it without really figuring out what I’d like to change about it.

How to revamp a yoyo: I’ve never seen myself as one to desire a “signature yoyo”, however there are clear design features that I’ve grown fond of in my decade of throwing. To update the Eclipse, which was designed to be a bit of a casual and solid daily yoyo, I approached the design from my trick knowledge and styling that I currently use. I then put the original Eclipse through its paces and picked it apart looking for what I would want to modify or change to get it up to speed with what I do now.

What’s new: I began with understanding what 7075 would do to the design, or rather, what the design could do better in 7075. So this quickly became a more battle ready eclipse as opposed to it’s laid back original. Shawn and I decided to reduce the thickness of the mid-weight ring in the cup, invert the angle of that first step after the bearing seat and added a cut before the rim to pay homage to the yoyo that inspired the original Eclipse’s design (Swenson said the Eclipse was a Nightingale variant and he wasn’t wrong at all). Overall, the changes shift weight towards the rim just a bit more, but not so much that it feels dead on the string, but rather, that its still as maneuverable as its predecessor.

Why the long wait? Well ya know the world was closed and now I’m a dad and things are changing but nothing rushed is ever worth the effort, so I appreciate everyone’s patience in this weird transitional period we are all experiencing, and I’m happy to present you with the Lunar Eclipse.

Tuesday 8/17 @ 8PM EDT.

13 Likes

Such a good throw

6 Likes

I agree so much. I loved the original, one of my favorites.
The Lunar is such an amazing followup. It’s been one of the three main players since I got mine.
Highly recommend it. :slight_smile: OhYesYo and One Drop killed it.

3 Likes

Oh you guys are really tempting me here. I wasn’t too fond of the original but like it was right on the cusp of keeper. This one looks sweeeeet.

1 Like

Well damn now you guys got me wanting one lol . I love me a one drop but I been on the fence about this one for awhile .

1 Like