Nearly a year in reflection

When I am back in town next week after a mini-vacation, I will have been throwing exactly 18 months.

How far I’ve come since then. Maybe not far enough, but that’s OK. I’m not on a schedule.

6 months in, while on one of these mini-Vacations, I had a break as the vacation was winding down. I logged into the YYE site via the iPhone App and checked my messages and found out I was officially named as a YoYoExpert ForumXpert.

This is my view seconds after I discovered this news:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/423115_229974613799319_42731517_n.jpg

This was the first trip on my annual pass, which is set to expire in the 19th of 2012, so that’s why I’m squeezing in one last trip.

Not bad. 6 months in and I’ve become a ForumXpert. 4 months later I was running sound at CalStates, and then a tester/evaluator for the Square Wheels Royale. 2 months later, running sound at BAC. I also ran sound for 2 other smaller contests or events tied to yoyo.

At the end of May/Early June, I was again down in Disneyland, staying at relatives’ house. I was throwing to just unwind and the kids there were fastinated at my pathetic skills, so they wanted in. I had to go to a local store in Redondo Beach many of you know of, and purchased some Fast 201’s and a ONE to hand out and for them started. Tomorrow, after my 8 hour drive(could be as short as 6 hours), I will be meeting said relatives again and will most likely have to do a repeater lesson. I’ll also drop off some strings to keep them supplied in the meantime. Disneyland is usually an annual trip at the least, but I was also there in I think or February as well.

It’s interesting. I’ve come from behind the console to now being a “person of interest” within the community. It’s an odd feeling for me. I’m typically invisible, a position I enjoy. I do the sound, I do it better than anyone else, and that’s what I do. Now people want to meet me. I hope they aren’t disappointed when they see how bad I am throwing! I’m not saying I’m anti-social. As a sound engineer, I’m used to be treated poorly, but not for the purpose of being treated poorly, but for the purpose of it’s a stressful job that must be done and once I’m up and running, it’s key that attention shift to other areas. I’m not complaining, it’s the nature of the job and I thrive on it. So, don’t feel threatened. If you want to say “hi”, please do so. However, if it’s during someone’s freestyle, I may not be able to do anything except wave. I do want to meet any and all of you, but when I’m at a console, be it big or small, I must have my focus on the task at hand.

I’ve met a lot of amazing and interesting people. I’ve been having a great time ever since I picked up this activity. I definitely see me doing this for a long, LONG time. I’m quite happy with where this is taking me and I am anxious to see where this is going to take me in the future. I’ve come from nothing to almost being a something.

Thank you for your support. Here’s to many more years!

1 Like

hope to cross paths with you one day.

I too hope to meet with you someday, though highly unlikely since we are countries apart and financing the trip would be hard, for me anyways.