My Hobby Shop is ripping people off

So I have a local Hobby Shop and the prices are outrageous. They sell a fireball for 11.99, metallic missle for 89.99 and a old Yo-Hans or-yo for 11.99. I looked on the nation and Yoyoguy and the fireball was 7.99 and the metallic missle was 30.00. If I showed them the online real prices, what do you think will happen?

They probably make you leave lol.

Those were the original retail prices so they are probably not wanting to lose that much money. Its too bad these stores are living in the past and dont realize what is going on currently. Dont worry, they are NOT ripping people off b/c they arent selling that s–t.

well the fireball is not that bad for 11.99 considering shipping from website is around 5-7$, thats why its 7.99.

You still have to pay tax. Granted, its not as much as $5 but still. Either way its silly considering you can get a Fireball in the BST for free basically and usually its even hard to give them away…

I went to a toy/hobby/anime store in SF Chinatown and say that they had some yomegas.
I went over to check it out and almost fainted when I saw that they were selling yomega fireballs for 50 dollars. And yomega strobe yos for 60.
I asked the person behind the counter about it and she was like: Oh! these are yomega! They very good yoyos.
I just said: Ok thanks.
And left.

But yeah, pretty crazy.
Haha.

J.
:slight_smile:

Listen guys, many hobby shops are over priced, not because they are evil people, but because they want to make a living.

What the hobby shops do is buy from places like YYE and sell for a more expensive price. They don’t want to buy a contract from a brand like YYF or YYJ, because they don’t know how they will sell. So what they do is go on to a website like YYE, buy a yoyo for say ten dollars, and raise the price up to 20, so they can cover all of the shipping and what not. Think about it, would you want to pay 200 dollars (Hypothetically) for 10 yoyos that you arent even sure you’ll sell. Or just buy one yoyo and not have your money sitting in the store for ten or so months, waiting for somebody to buy out a bunch of yoyos.

It’s not ripping people off.

It’s smart business.
(As for Jayyo’s story, well thats a rough case, and I could see why you would be upset)

They buy from manufacturers… You dont buy a contract w/, say, YYF, you just have to buy a certain amount of yoyos, like 25 Speed Dials and 10 888s or something like that. It would be really stupid on their part to buy from another store and I know that is not what they do.

I think I just passed out! :o

I went to hobby people and they sell fireballs for 13$! Still expencive, but nowhere near 50$! 50 bucks is so overpriced! And imo I thought 10 bucks was overpriced! :smiley:

A comic store near my school sells dm’s for $50 X-Victs for 50 and hitmen for 50 it is slightly overpriced oh and i also saw a night moves 5 behing the counter

I live in a small, but rich town…
But we have no store at all, besides a Mcdonalds, a couple banks and resturants, and 2 conveinince stores lol

My hobby shops best yoyo is a raider.

You also have to think, Is that the only store in your town to sell yoyo’s in that quality? If so then they kinda monopolize on it… We have a hobby shop…More of a comic book store (I go for my DnD dice, books, ect…) And he’s the only person who sells that stuff… With no competition there’s no need for competitive pricing… Where as YYE is competing with places like the Nation, and other online stores…

I have a Newbury Comics kinda near me.
THey sell decent yoyos.
Throw monkeys, offstrings, FHZ’s!

I was at this place called ahhs in la last night on the outside of their store they had a picture of a higby yoyo on the inside they throw monkeys,bumble bees,yomega

Our local sporting goods store has a couple of X-Brains for about 13.99 and some regular freehands at 12.99. I think those are actual prices.

I’m sure you mean Freehand 2.

I don’t really know. The packaging label just says, Freehand by Duncan.