First of all I’d like to say how much I truly appreciate all the effort many of you put into writing quality reviews and some of you do it quite well. Please don’t get upset with the following comments. (I hope by now most of you know when I’m serious and when I’m not.) These thoughts and comments are reflective of my own experience and do not necessarily reflect anybody elses experiences, just my own.
A reflection on writing reviews:
Once I found yoyo forums I began reading reviews. Initially I gulped down every word as factual. It didn’t take long to realize that other than stats, price, name, and whether the reviewer liked it or not, there wasn’t much fact to those reviews at all, mostly opinion.
Well surely I could do better! I had yoyos, I could write as well or better, at least well enough to communicate my message and share the facts. So I did. Well at least I wrote a review or two but they weren’t much different than anything else I read. In the end, most of the review was just my opinion, which in reality is just about worthless to anyone except me. Dang, it was even worthless to me because I already knew my opinion! What a waste of time, thought and effort.
- New yo’s cause excitement. Excitement causes many reviewers to rate the yo to highly. (I hope you appreciate how perceptive I can be) :
- Nobody writes a review after they’ve played a yo long enough for the excitement to wear off. (Go figure!) :’(
- Some reviewers like a yoyo that is exactly within their preferences. They’d eat the same thing every meal if they could. Not me, I pick things that are different.
- Some reviewers can’t give directions to their living room. :-\
- Some reviewers are great writers; pages of text that offer little to nothing meaningful to me.
- Yoyos have been attributed attributes that don’t really exist. Metal yoyos don’t float as noted by lumps on my head over the years. :’(
- Some people spend a great deal of time writing awesome reviews that I couldn’t agree with at all, others more inline with myself.
- Reviews of most yoyos say basically the same thing but occasionally something new is provided. (Read between the lines, pm and ask questions)
- Reviews serve some purpose: hype (not always a bad thing), communicate excitement over a new toy (I have it, you don’t! neener, neener! ), and even attempt to really give you an idea about what the yoyo is like (yes some really do).
- Now that I have read hundreds of reviews, spent countless hours reading them, spent some time writing them, and in this thread writing about them, I’ve come to a few conclusions: I still find myself reading them, seldom attempting to write them, appreciating the effort it takes to write them, not understanding why anyone would take the time to write them and most importantly, when I want a new yoyo I basically disregard it all and decide for myself.
So after all this I feel a bit bummed and need a pick me up. Can someone suggest a nice review, feed me some hype! :