Modern yoyoing "vs" 2A, why I'm concerned

I have to echo Gregs and Sloppybinds statements in the fact that I just do what I enjoy.

Personally, 2A has just never really interested me, nor really have any of the other styles (apart from 4A a tad). If I wanted to learn it then I would, regardless of the difficulty or the unforgiving nature of the yoyos involved.

Don’t get me wrong, I highly respect anyone who puts in the time and effort to become skilled in any division, but it was watching 1A that got me into yoyoing and it’s doing 1A that I love.

I do think it’s a shame that more people aren’t into the other styles though. I mean I completely understand it, since I myself am part of the problem, but it would be nice if there were more people interested in the less-popular styles.

I’d like to see 2a players start showing more vids, posting more about what they do, and showing us insane and exciting moves that catch the rest of us off guard.

If you want something like 2a to grow you have to promote it! If the 2a community would represent more, it would help. Imagine having difficulty with 2a and “BOOM” someone posts a super inspiring video or thread. That would be sweet!

However, I can see why there isn’t a stronger 2a presence as most of the conversation revolves around other forms of yo-yoing.

I know this thread is a little old but describing the difference between 1a and 2a yoyoing is more like the difference between riding a bicycle and a unicycle, 2a being the unicycle, lots of people give up learning to ride the unicycle too.

This thread makes a fool of me I read the whole thread without seeing the date.

But here’s my take on it.

I think 2a is really good for improving 1a.

I think because you do 2a with short string any trick done on 2a improves your 1a accuracy.

And 2a gives you a sense of satisfaction.

Here you do 1a tricks black hops boomerang or any advanced it doesn’t feel like a really hard thing mastered unless you learn all the elements.

But with 2a once you master the inside loops you are just really satisfied. And after learning that 2a is not that difficult outside loops are easy sideways around the worlds are fun.

I think along with 2a there should be another division 1 and a half a meaning one handed looping. I think 2a and 5a are only divisions that even learning the first or basics are really fun.

If you’re having problems with the yoyo tilting off the string, just say so, we’ve got tips.

Isn’t 0A the one handed looping division?

These guys are mostly right about the Fixed axle thing.
It has more appeal to me than 2A, but there are also a lot more people putting out videos and generally promoting it.

I don’t know a lot about 2A mostly because I just havn’t seen it.

Maybe someone should hit the forums with a 2A contest, or just a tread that has cool videos.
I imagine a lot of throwers just don’t have the same exposure to 2A that they do to 1A.

I would just love to be able to do loops with both hands. It looks awesome.
But, it seems like a lot of work and money to essentially learn one trick.

Yes in a way but it also has string tricks It. And I think k 2a is really cheap for cost get a pulse or 808 or unleashed thick lube 50/ 50 strings total cost 30 to 40 bucks and its not learning one trick once you get a hold of inside loops 5 to 6 tricks will come e to you easily then you can combine those have fun and make tricks.

2A is just way too hard. Most of the tricks require that you learn an entire different type of skill set. You have to play it consistently for YEARS before being able to do it insanely well. On the other hand with 1A, there are sponsored players popping up in 1 or 2 years. It’s way easier to become good at 1A, so that’s why people do it.

In 1A you can learn each element of a trick individually and then piece them together later. You don't have that luxury in 2A. You're either performing the element [i]perfectly[/i] or you're not. There are no intermediate moments in the learning process. If you can't loop indefinitely then you're not really looping. As awesome as the style is, I believe it's the can be the most frustrating and intimidating of the bunch. There's also not a lot of creativity available in 2A as opposed to what can be found in the other divisions. Execution is the name of the game for 2A.

I think you both are right if you practice 1a for 7 months your learn so many elements tricks. But with 2a unless you get Inside loops you can progress maybe around the world but the progress compared with 1a is different.

You should not focus on 2a at least this is what I did most of the time I do 1a but at night half hour I do 2a that to just messing around and I thought that I could never do loops but because in the whole day i did 1a it gave me enough mind to keep doing forward passes 1 loops 2 loops and one day it just came I did 9. Then I progressed fast warp dripe hop the fence regens.

I agree, and I am a growing 2a player as well, i just got a pair of loop 1080s quite a few months ago and at PNWR, since I kind of knew double loops I gave it a try and Three including me came XD

My take on 2A and why I think not many really pick up on it like they do with 1A as this is my situation: throwing with my non throw hand. That’s one of the biggest hurdles for me and while I can throw a sleeper and simple loops, it’s tough. It’s also tough trying to control both at the same time and requires quite a bit of practice.

It’s not saying I won’t learn it but I don’t think I’ll get as far as I did with 1A. I bought a pair of Loop 1080s which are really nice. I kind of use these other styles as something to fall back on when I get stuck in a rut or feel like I need to take a break. This also applies to other styles, makes for some good variation.

In 2a you pretty much need to have good yoyos and not cheap out on product. The difference between an 360 and a 1080 is huge

And by “cheap” the good news is top notch stuff is only about 20 bucks a piece 8)

I guess I’m weird, because i learned 2a first, and got decently advanced, then got bored of it and learned 1a. I hate how repetitive it was, and although I’m sure that this changes at a higher level, but the lack of creativity involved. Sure you could come up with slightly different loops, but they were at the level I was at, fundamentally the same. After one year of 2a I quit and learned 1a, and I haven’t looked back since.

Also, to bring back the stability issue in the OP, I totally agree: I was once told that the OG Arctic Circle isn’t stable, and is prone to tilting (like, really? ::slight_smile: )

This thread was old.

But anyway…

I still do 2a now and have progressed quite a bit since when I posted this, it’s been slow overall since I’ve been yoyoing less lately. Now learning behind the back loop variations, vertical tricks, and stuff…

NECROPOST ACTIVATE!

I’m a beginner 2A player and this is something I’ve noticed, too. I’m the only 2A aspirant in my local yoyo community.

Yes, this. There is no going back one step once you’ve started a trick. If you fail, you fail hard and obviously. Like, your yoyo flies off the string, smacks the wall, and the pogs fly off and you have to go look for them. Also, once you’ve learned something…you have to learn it all over again with your other hand. Also, you can’t practice 2A sitting down or in an enclosed space. I live in a small apartment, so I have to practice outdoors. Outdoors is hot and humid, or cold and snowy, and there are bugs, and water sometimes falls from the sky.

Then again, I think 2A tricks are probably where people got that idea that “yoyos used to be weapons.” (LOL, if I have to hear this “history” lesson from a non-yoyoer one more time…). 2A looks B.A. and scary when done right.

Just a total n00b’s 2 cents’ worth.

You’re just starting 2a? May the force be with you! :smiley:

1 Like

I was scrolling through these posts, not looking at the dates, saw Gambit’s post and was so excited! Darn… :confused:

I would like to try to get back into leaning 2a. It takes a lot of practice. I’m my experience if I don’t keep practicing, I forget how to even run a looper :stuck_out_tongue: