Little Cousins need a yoyo!

So, my little cousins want yoyos. But I need some help. They loose intrest fast, but they want one. They live in Texas and I live in Michigan so I can’t teach them. So one is 7 and one is 5. The 7 year old was useing my ProtoStar and the 5 year old is useing my Equinox. The 7 year old is like throwing breakaways and stuff without it spinning at all and doing some cool non spinning tricks! They were like double or nothing, trapeze and his bro and tricks like that. But they are non spinning. My 5 year old little cousin was fine (she’s 5 so ofcourse it’s not good!) But I need tips on how to teach them and what to buy them! Oh and the 7 year old right now is starting to get the breakaways to spin! I was thinking about a Velocoty for the 7 year old and maybe a butterfly? And a little pencil case for yoyos. And give my 7 year old cousin a Henry’s Lizard that I used to play. And the 5 year old, I’m not sure about?

If they have trouble making the yoyo spin, you may want to try a yoyo with a clutch, like yomega power brain XP (for the 5 year old). A clutch yoyo would force them to throw the yoyo, to make it sleep.
I used to like yomega raiders when I was little (after MUCH practice with the brain).

I think velocity’s a good yoyo, but I’d pick something with a smaller bearing until your cousins get taller. There are many duncan yoyos that use A-size bearings (smaller than C-sized), good for people who use shorter string, since the C-size bearing yoyos won’t spin if the string is too short.
You can try one of the freehand yoyos (that come with those cool-looking counter weights). Definitely buy extra response stickers, because duncan stickers wear out pretty quickly.

1 Like

I think I might give my 7 year old cousin my Henry’s Lizard, 2010 Freehand, and Dragonfly and the 5 year old my Peterfish yoyos. So then I wont need to buy any, but if my little cousin gets serious about yoyo’ing (which I doubt she will) I’ll either give her my Mini-Star or buy her a Campfire (guessing that is the size a small 7 year old should have?) or maybe like a Mini Motu, 888 (gotta show the love for the 888! ;D) or my Yuuksta. But I’m not sure if that’s too small. Because it seems like since she’s small so I would think that would be the size but Spencer Nelson uses full size throws?They won’t get them until Christmas though. But the 7 year old loves it so far! Oh and if she hits like double or nothing i’ll give her my Metal Drifter!

ok so ive got 2 that would be good to look at and they are both from YYF 1 is the FAST 201 it is a great intro to yoyos[sleeping]and i think is responsive so thats good for begginers. the other is the spinstar it is a sleeping yoyo and it is also responsive it says in the preview that it is a good yoyo for people that r not sure if yoyos r their thing.