International Yoyo Championship, Aug. 2014

Steve. This contest is a week before worlds & they are offering prizes 10x better than worlds.

If they really weren’t trying to pull people away from worlds they would have scheduled it at a different time in the year.

I think we already went over that. It seems to be bad planning, slow movement, and coincidence.

1 Like

This contest looks interesting.

I’ve known about this contest for -at least- a year, it has -nothing- to do with world’s or pan-am.

It was part of the plan from the start with the duncan/disney move, it just took a while to get organized and the details worked out… as Steve said, that’s not a surprise when you have two large -slow- moving companies working together.

If you don’t believe me - I posted not only about the contest, but the contest date last august on a spin top board.

From Duncan’s perspective they’ve got a good deal going with their stores at the two Disney locations, so hosting a contest there is a natural thing to do. From Disney’s perspective, they do everything as big as they possibly can… so they want to make it as major of an event as they can manage. The timing is just unfortunate.

Having been at Worlds in 2000 when it was ‘accidentally’ hosted outside in Universal Studios (it was planned to be inside a studio there, it got bumped by a filming running long and ended up in an open field next to it)… I can attest that having a large contest, outside, in orlando, in august is a -horrible- idea. I doubt anybody who was there would disagree with this.

In August in Orlando, the temperature is always in the 90-100+ F range, humidity is 90%+ and you get a 15 minute rain storm in the early afternoon just about every day. Sound like a fun place to have a yoyo contest?

To me that bit is a much bigger deal than the date being a little too close to the world contest.

Kyle

The copy on the site suggests that it’s inside House of Blues.

So they literally copypastad their ‘rules’ page from the WYYC official site?

The majority of yoyo contest use that exact same rule format.

1 Like

Wait is this going to be outside?

This is for people who can’t afford to travel to Prague for worlds (a healthy alternative, by no means a sabotage)

No the website ay’s its in the house of blue’s

No, it’s inside the House of Blues at Downtown Disney.

Such a killer venue:

1 Like

yea sorry for any confusion, I was going off of very old information and hadn’t closely looked at the new site…

it is NOT outside.