I weep for the future

I think it’s intended to be a trick question, but “pass” can be interpreted to clear each other after they meet.

In this case we need the lengths of the trains as well. When the front of the trains meet may be calculated.

We can infer they are on different tracks.

EDIT
Oh no, you had collision written in the first place? I honestly did not see that the first time.

1 Like

Kids these days.

2 Likes

I approve of this.

1 Like

The first train is named Jeff and the second train is named John so it’s unlikely they will ever meet in the middle. Especially if they are driving trains that ride on flat bearings!

6 Likes

6 hours and 38 minutes until the trains crash, but several months until they’re federally indicted.

5 Likes

Is this after you calculated? It does seem about right.

Definitely entrepreneur material.

1 Like

It’s a pretty simple calculation, and even easier if you think of it in relative reference frames.

Two trains heading towards each other is analogous to one train being stopped and the other train moving at their combined speeds.

So one train at 127 mph and the other train at 143.5 mph can be thought of as one train moving 0 mph and one moving (127+143.5)=270.5 mph.

If they’re 1796 miles apart, simply solve for t.

time = distance/speed.

t = 1796 miles / 270.5 miles / hour

t = 6.64 hours ~ 6 hr 38 mins

And then to check your work, multiple the time by each trains’ speed to see how far each one will travel.

6.64 hr * 127 mph = 843.28‬ miles
6.64 hr * 143.5 mph = 954.275‬ miles

843.28 miles + 954.275‬ miles =~ 1796 miles (excluding rounding errors)

10 Likes

I was almost there, then my boss walked in. Yes, it is easy, even for me lol.

1 Like

Excellent explanation btw. A grade, not being facetious at all.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was at a loss too.

Partly because I couldn’t read the first word at all (are those Nordic runes or something?), and partly because “mqx” isn’t a word or name either, and even if I generously assume that the “q” is actually supposed to be an “a”, I could not fathom how “max” was in any way related to a pink hexagon.

This kid was thinking so painfully literally that I see a bright future for him in online discourse.

3 Likes

Always answer in SI units!
23,900 seconds

3 Likes

Australian grade 5. The student is 11.

6 Likes

This thread a awesome. Jeff and Max. Several months for the train conductors to be federally indicted that was classic.

3 Likes

Naming shapes int hat way, reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect

1 Like

Are they still teaching kids how to read traditional analog clocks? Here they aren’t, most are used to all digital interface these days.

3 Likes

Wow. Yes, we most certainly teach children how to read an analogue clock. That is still a life skill in this day and age.

4 Likes

The lifecycle of a goat:

14 Likes

At work having my morning coffee and this thread is too good!

4 Likes

i… i don’t know how to respond to this

4 Likes