How is tapping done?

How do you re tap a yoyo? Don’t you have a axle and you drill it into the yoyo or something like that?

You use a tap, which looks something like a drill bit with threads.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31pJRnLwUOL.SL500_AA300.jpg

Do they come in sizes of axles? I mean if I get one will I be able to get a axle to fit the yoyo after I’m done.

And how do you make it straight?

You need to chose a tap with the correct diameter and also that will produce a thread with the correct number of threads per inch. In order to get things straight, one would normally utilize a tower drill or a lathe to hold things perfectly straight. You can do it by hand but then anything goes…

EDIT: One may drill a hole first then tap it. Or ‘countersink’ it.

Starter tap then bottoming tap.

I guess I could add a little more, and be a little more explicit. Normally the way I would do this is to countersink the hole, and tap by hand. Power tapping I suspect takes more machining prowess than I have. Therefore, to try and ensure the tap runs true through the countersink (made using a lathe or tower drill, I will switch to a tower drill and use a hand tap locked into place by the tower drill to create the thread. With a hand tap I typically use copious amounts of lubrication, and ensure to frequently reverse tap, which breaks up the waste chips and creates an easier, cleaner tapping. Mullicabob is entirely correct that one typically starts with a plug tap until you reach the bottom of the hole you’re tapping with the point of the plug tap, and then one uses a bottom tap to finish up the threads, all the way to the bottom of the hole.

Thanks guys! I wasn’t planning on doing it, my friend does it and I was curious how he did it. Because I have a super nice yoyo that stripped.

why didn’t you just ask him?

I don’t know…

#suspect

Man, no one cares if you’re going to be offering this, paracord holsters, or anything else as a service. If you want to do something to make money, just say so.

I want to make money…

Lol. But it has nothing to do with this. taping.
I just never thought to ask my friend.

He best friend will be a rethreading kit.

This is same idea as the tap and die just made to clean up mess up threads and not cut new threads.

You won’t need to buy the entire kit, you will want to use a pitch gauge to find out your thread pitch and also find out the bolt size (in this case the axle size) link below. Once you figure out those two things you’ll want to get a little but of cutting fluid and spray or drop some in the hole you’ll be working in, then use the rethreading tool (start it buy hand then use a wrench to get it to go through the mucked up threads being careful to make sure you are going in straight and slowly so you don’t go to far and cause yourself more troubles.).

Should be a really straight forward process, but in you are having to actually cut new threads then here is a list of stuff that will help you with a tap and dies set up.

Here is the first tool to acquire for either using a rethreading bit or an actual tap

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ROIU2A

Then you’ll need a T-handle to hold your tap you’ll find a few varities

This is one I don’t particularly like because if you happen to get into a situation where you have to put a little bit of pressure the slots can buckle (although working with a 1/4" tap and on Yoyo threads it shouldn’t be a problem as there won’t be much force exerted)

Basic T-Handle
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004YOB0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378327391&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

A more Sturdy handle that will hold a die (for fixing threads on bolts) and hold your taps ( but is of higher quality generally and costs more for greater ability to do more). this handle will also hold additional tools ( but these aren’t yoyo related and the cost might not be worthwhile).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002YUVTY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1378327745&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Then you have my favorite type of T-Handle this one ratchets to make life easier, but again might not be cost effective for yoyos, but if you have the cash and want the best option this is available

You’ll need to get some actual cutting fluid (its different then wd-40).

You will want to get a scrap piece of steel and practice cutting threads and cross threading for the purpose to learn to use a rethreading tool to clean them up so as not to get into a yoyo job and ruin your yoyo for good.

Here is a decent video on the overall idea on how to use a tap and building new threads from scratch, to repair threads is a very similar process just requires the use if a rethreading tool (note that a two shouldn’t be use to clean up threads as his can cause the threads to be loose and in-turn cause worse issues further down the road).

And if you get comfortable with all that you might want to look into helicoils or other thread inserts to strengthen the threads to cut the chances of stripping out the threads as the stainless steel inserts will be stronger then the axle material, but that will be a topic all on its own I think.

Be safe and have fun!

Also here is a good reason why you should use a rethreading bit to clean up threads verses cutting new threads with a tap.

1 Like

would re-tapping cause the hole to get bigger or would a person be able to re-tap without the having to get a bigger axle? such as would the axle size stay at an M4 or would it become a M5 after re-tapping? I am asking because I might get a stripped chief and I would not mind trying to do it myself to save myself another $20 if I can get the tools for a good price

Really depends on how bad off it is and does it need new threads cut or can you just rethread it with a tool that will fix the current threads.

I am not sure, all the guy has said that it is stripped, but not how bad it is. I might just get it to see how it is, because i might just turn it into a project yoyo to retap it since the guy is selling it cheap.

I’d try a helicoil that way you retain the same final diameter of the axle and increase strength being that the helicoil is stainless steel.

1 Like

oh ok, well I will have the yoyo by next week, so I can have more details next week

this was going to be my recommendation. Using a helicoil is pretty simple actually. We just went over it in my automotive class on monday.

There are a few other brands out there but I think the helicoil is the best of the lot more consistent and installs nicely each time as long as you follow the instructions, I can’t remember the other brand we used for a very short while but we had major issues with their design.