Giveaway: Mid-school Is New School Again (Danny/Paul FH1s)

tl;dr

• Post a Paul Escolar-inspired trick to be entered to win a Paul Escolar FH1
  • Post a Danny Severance-inspired trick to be entered to win a Danny Severance FH1
  • Post either a Paul or Danny-inspired trick to be entered to win a Bionic FH1
  • Performing your trick with a tug-responsive yo-yo gives you an extra entry.
  • Winners are determined by random drawing.
  • Entries must be posted in this thread with the name of the person it was inspired by
  • Contest runs until the end of January 2023.

Preamble

Paul

Paul Escolar is undoubtedly one of the most influential yo-yoers of all time. Ed Happonik sums it up succinctly here:

without even knowing he existed, if you’re a yo-yo player… you owe him something.

Danny

While Danny Severance might not be at quite the prominence of Paul, he was often cited back in the day as “your favorite player’s favorite player”, one of the strongest compliments you can give a player in my opinion. Just read the description TeamChubbyLovin wrote for his SAVE DETHcember episode.

Danny Severance embodies a mentality to yo-yoing that few have harnessed. The uncanny knack for continuously blazing new trails with tricks and concepts for the pure enjoyment of it. Danny doesn’t compete. He doesn’t care about sponsorships. He plays yo-yo because it’s a creative outlet for ideas. In the past 4 years, I have had the privilege of watching his trick theory grow and develop into one of the most unique, classic yo-yo styles I’ve seen since Spencer Berry.

Both of these legends had their own signature Freehand Zero, Paul’s being the Paul Escolar FHZ, and Danny’s (while not official), a purple Glass Eye FHZ with blank white caps.

Both of these brilliant throwers were unfortunately taken from this earth much too soon.

Both of these titans are so well respected and loved that Duncan re-created their signature Freehands as new Freehand Ones.

Both of their tricksets hold up to this day and can teach everybody something.

This is where you come in.

Giveaway

I am giving away one of each of these special edition FH1s, as well as a bionic FH1; you have three opportunities to win.

How to enter:

Paul Escolar FH1: post a video of you remixing one of Paul’s countless tricks or create a trick inspired by Paul in general and post a clip of that.
Danny Severance FH1: similar to above, but Danny didn’t name as many tricks as Paul, so for this one post a trick inspired by Danny’s style of yo-yoing.

If your tricks are done with a tug-responsive yo-yo, you get an extra entry!

Style of play is not limited to 1A! Danny was also a prolific 5A player :slight_smile:

Entries must be posted in this thread to keep things organized for my own sanity. When you post it, leave a note of which person your trick was inspired by.

I will leave this open until the end of January 2023 which should hopefully give everyone plenty of time to create a trick or two (as well as give me time to finish moving haha).

How to win:

I will randomly draw for each of the player special editions from each entry.
For the Bionic FH1, I’ll draw randomly from all entries.

Inspiration

Paul Escolar

Paul’s Yo-Yo Wiki page has a list of many of his tricks with links to videos of them

The Paul Escolar video by @JeiCheetah

Paul Escolar trick compilation by @_Z1

Duncan Crew Worldwide Profile

Danny Severance

JENKEM DREAMS

SAVE DETHcember Episode 4: Born to Lose

Danny Severe (Studio Session appearances supercut)

Spencer Berry’s Apartment (BAC 2008)

Tennessee States 2008

Danny Severance Inspired Trick

One Handed GT

Danny’s Turtle Shell Escape

Bucket Shockwave

(5A) Danny Rejection

31 Likes

I will never be able to do any of Paul’s tricks the justice they deserve, but I sure did try.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmzgBilj9Y6/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

6 Likes

This Danny Severance trick was super hard for me to figure out. I don’t think I really did the trick any justice, but at least I got it after weeks of trying.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnh25vuDc9f/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

6 Likes

Here’s my final entry for the contest. I worked super hard to try do all of the tricks that Danny Severance does in the Delaware 5A video.

Thank you for this contest. It was really fun learning all of these timeless tricks from two of my all time favorite yo-yoers.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cn-M1NSj3Jz/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D

9 Likes

@5A_4_ever you may win by default…

2 Likes

I just saw this thread!
I landed Danny Rejection

9 Likes

Don’t enter me into anything (unless you really want to, I won’t complain LOL). I just wanted there to be another trick in the thread.

This whip just reminded me of the Danny rejection whip. This is a Jake Bullock trick, but he’s def said that he really liked Danny’s 5A.

13 Likes

That’s some smooth 5A!! Well done.

Sooo… do we three all win a yoyo😇 ?

2 Likes

Thank you so so so so so sooooooooo much Isaac for sending me the yo-yos. It took me FOREVER to say thank because my computer was messed up and I couldn’t post from my phone for some reason. Anyways. You’re so awesome! I appreciate you so much! Thank you :pray::pray::pray::smiley::smiley::smiley:

-Nick

4 Likes