Funny Problems

Has anyone ever asked you, “What makes that yoyo you are throwing now different from the other 30+ you own?”

I tried to explain the difference between my Chief and Bonfire and they just stood there and stared at me so confused. :smiley:
What would you say if you were asked the difference between certain yoyos?

I’m starting to think that “yoyo” is it’s own language.

I usually just say that different yoyos are good for different styles of tricks.

Only every time I tell my wife I am buying a new yoyo.
I usually use the shoe or car analogy, they feel completely different, but yet are nearly the same.

Does a Dodge Viper drive the same as a Subaru WRX?
What about a VW bug and Nissan Pathfinder?
They all do the same thing but for different reasons.

summed up - Different rigs for different gigs.

1 Like

All I’ve learned is:

Never try to explain it to your wife. She won’t understand.

But it helps to point out her large collection of shoes.

3 Likes

okay so there are different designs which have different feels much like shoes.

you have different weight distribution which is like the difference between basketball shoes and stilettos.

Wait what, are yoyos supposed to play differently?

1 Like

So in this analogy, which throw is the stilettos? :smiley:

Mighty flea?

Every yoyo feels different in some way. Either weight distribution, size, shape, etc.

It’s just an honest fact that very little is known about the real yoyo industry outside of the yoyo community. This is really all a cover for a Satanic cult for all they know. It would be difficult enough to inform someone just of how much a premium metal yoyo costs, let alone explain why you have thirty of them.

Wait, this ISN’T a satanic cult?

2 Likes

^ True that. I tried explaining to one of my mates the other day why dropping $300 on a Citizen was a worthwhile purchase… I don’t know if he was all that convinced. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had one asking me the other night at the local fast food restaurant about the yoyo I was playing as I was doing some stuff he had never seen with a yoyo. He then asked me how much something like that runs. I was hesitant on telling him how much an Elysian cost but he was surprised when I did tell him. He was expecting it to cost almost double what I told him.

…Yea I try not to let the general public what I’ve spent on whatever yoyo I’m throwing…(flashes back to when I was 12 (1990s yoyo boom) and when my parents found out I spend $25 on a yoyo…but it had a bearing in it!)

I try to compare it to something they can relate too. This past weekend, I used a Fetty Wap v.s. T-Pain comparison to explain the differences between my Bonfire and a Roll Model. Lol.

I bet he is a hobbyist too, especially on something that also cost ridiculous for general public.

This:

1 Like

I basically say “there’s actually differences in weight distribution, size, the weight of the Yoyo itself, the shape, etc.” most people can understand the shape and weight thing the most, especially when I pull up a looping Yoyo and like a Yoyojam classic and show them the differences.

When people ask me that kinda stuff I actually enjoy explaining the mechanics to them.

I can relate, I remember the look on some of my family’s faces when I told them my Yomega Lancer II cost $23! We’ve come a long way from there…