Determining Gap Width

ok so, the colors dont determin the thicknes, only green is thicker these are what the colors mean…

White Pads:
The standard YoYoFactory response pad. White pads come in almost all of our yo-yos when they are brand new because these are the best all-around pads. Whether you use them in preparation for a contest, for a high intensity freestyle, or for just hanging out and throwing, the white pad will play to your standard. Good for all styles of play.

Red:
The Competition Pad. Red response pads break in very quickly, reach an ideal sweet spot, and then wear out quicker than any other pad. This combination makes them perfect for freestyle competition play, in which you can break them in within minutes and walk on stage ready to go!

Pink & Yellow:
The Consistent Pads. These pads are reliable in how consistent it plays as it wears down. Unlike many of the other pads that have a sweet spot once they are broken in, the pink and yellow pads are as good when you first swap them into the yo-yo as they are just before they’re worn down to the core.

Teal & Blue:
The Grippy Pads. These pads have a little longer break in period, meaning that they retain that new pad feel for much longer than most other pads. Once broken in, blue and teal pads hold a Medium Response while still holding an overall grippy feel.

Natural:
The Marathon Pad. The Natural color pads are intended to be the longest lasting pad that we make. Surprisingly they also require very little break in time, no maintenance. Best used in the yo-yo that you take with you wherever you go.

Green:
The Green pads are the extra-thick responsive pads, replacement for the responsive versions of the ONE/Dv888/Hubstack/Replay. These sit above the normal pad area in any large/slim padded Yo-Yo to make the string grab much easier.

2 Likes

Most yyf pads are 1.15mm deep. The thick pads are 1.7mm I believe.

3 Likes

The edgeless is made by TTF. Why wouldn’t it take YYF pads?

To determine the gap width, try a feeler gauge…
220px-Feeler_gauge
They’re cheap.

4 Likes

yyf YYF!

2 Likes

noob question but, who is ttf?

1 Like

he ment yoyofactory, if you see on the keyboard t is right next to y
at least i think…

1 Like

Yep, a bad case of fumble fingers and mis-attention. thanks.

2 Likes

The pad thickness isn’t the only factor, nor the main one when determining gap width. The bearing is sunk into the yoyo halves somewhat, and its inner race rests on the bearing seat. The depth of the bearing seat below the response edge largely determines the gap width (given a standard sized bearing).

7 Likes

That’s interesting. I did not know that about bearing seat depth.

1 Like

When I measure gap width, for flush or recessed pads, I use the outer response edge as the measuring point. Since the yoyo is a solid body, the location of all those bits are relative to each other. When I work on a design, the seat is at a fixed point 1/2 of a bearing’s width away from the Y axis, and I move the other stuff around that.

There’s a lot more to response than gap width of course, though it’s a fine approximation.

1 Like

That’s the most obvious aspect to me.
Look at all of the yoyos with a std. “C” bearing and think about the variation in gap.

1 Like

I might definitely try this. But you gotta buy the yoyo first :frowning:

Why applied in the “take with you” yo-yo? bit of a non sequitur. I made this post because I was looking for an excuse to use the phrase “non sequitur.”

And what is pad maintenance? Scratching it when it gets slippy?

1 Like

replacing pads is pad maintenance