Changing response pads

When you change response pads, do they typically come out in one piece or break apart into little rubbery crumbs? I was expecting it to be easier to remove them. Had to apply Goof Off multiple times.

clean with alchohol after. usually comes off in one piece but the adhesive can be annoying sometimes

2 Likes

If you use silicone instead is that harder or easier to remove? Can you use silicone in a yoyo designed for pads?

I haven’t had to remove self silicone from a yoyo yet, maybe someone else can say

1 Like

Most response pads I’ve pulled have came out decently clean, one piece rings with only a tiny bit of adhesive left behind. Goo Gone and a bit of rubbing alcohol afterwards cleans them up pretty well.

A couple of my older yo-yos with hard and crumbly pads were more difficult to remove. An old YYF SuperWide B-grade was by far the worst. The pad had to be picked out with a pin and some toothpicks in chunks of only a few millimeters at a time. Then there was the hardened adhesive that polymerized with part of the silicone pad at the bottom. That was a terrible pad swap.

1 Like

I’ve siliconed a few yo-yos, but never tried to remove them. I would imagine that silicone would be very hard and annoying to get out. Kind of like trying to remove silicone caulk from a tub.

2 Likes