Casual Throw First Take: RCS Author

So, I put together a “first take” video of the older iteration of the Author (which I recently received through the BST here) that is a bit different from the new release. The new format I am considering making a regular piece of the channel is much shorter than my usual deep-dive reviews (I typically like to take at least a few weeks to get to know a throw before reviewing). I welcome your thoughts.

9 Likes

Cool to see a yoyo I owned is now a YouTube mega star! Great job!

5 Likes

Thanks, man! “mega star” made me laugh.

3 Likes

I have one of the new ones in the mail. I can’t wait. I like the Showpony way more than I really thought I would and I’m definitely excited to try this. Thanks for the review.

2 Likes

Thanks! And let me know what you think. I do want to compare the OG with the new kid. Same for Show Pony - I have (and really like) a Showgirl but haven’t gotten to the upgrade just yet.

1 Like

Hey again all. This is a bump with a purpose (not just seeking clicks!). I legitimately want feedback on this. Do you all think it’s worthwhile for me to do some more of these shorter “initial impressions” videos going forward or should I stick to my usual long-form, in-depth reviews that I usually do after I’ve really gotten to know a throw? Many thanks in advance for any input.

@Roy_Dodge do unboxings and first impressions then after some true play time do a review on it

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I am thinking about - for some yos at least - doing the 3-4 minute first take video and then a longer 10ish min deep dive later on.

The unboxing part gives me pause. When I do get throws new or used with all packaging and such I will mention and show in video, but as a consumer I have an inexplicable disdain for the unboxing culture that has developed. Lots of folks seem to do it and there seems to be a considerable appetite for it. So maybe I automatically eliminate a large market when I choose to not do it.

1 Like

Well…having two reviews of the same yoyo on your channel may clog things up a bit. I often go to youtube and type in the name of a yoyo followed by the word, review. I usually watch 1 or 2 and maybe 3. Someone may only watch one of your reviews and your first impressions (honeymoon period) of a yoyo may vary a little or a LOT from a longform review done several weeks later. Which review do you want people to base their buying decision on? You are experienced enough that I doubt your opinion of a yoyo would change much in 2 weeks anyway. You can do an unboxing and then splice on the review you do a week or two later so your initial reactions flow right into a full-blown review in the same video.

5 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts, Chris. This is definitely something I am concerned about. I don’t want to overdo it. Maybe the long form is my bread and butter and I don’t bother with the first impression stuff. Or maybe I mix it up and do one for at for some throws and the other for different yos. Or I do a hybrid like you mentioned where I do a video that includes both. Great food for thought

3 Likes

That was great!

1 Like

I agree with @ChrisFrancz. Maybe film your first throw “review” and then include it in the full review video.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I am liking the idea of combining the first take and longer-term pieces into one video. Would still aim for 10ish minutes total, shorter if possible. I initially envisioned 8-10 minutes as my sweet spot when I started out doing this, so I may strive to get there with these. Suppose the Komodo will be first up for this treatment.

EDIT: To clarify my earlier remark about unboxings… I personally don’t care for them and would have a tough time genuinely doing them myself as a result (much like I would never brew an IPA because I can’t stand them), but I 100% get that lots of people are into them and won’t judge that just because I’m not.

3 Likes

I don’t mind an unboxing if it doesn’t take too long or if there were will be something unusual with unique packaging inside - like with Rain City Skills stuff. If it’s just a YYF in standard box I don’t care to have someone show me all sides of the box and tell me it’s a standard box. Then again, new people are getting into the hobby all the time so they may be curious whereas I am not. The idea for unboxing came from video cameras in the delivery room and no one ever wanted to watch those anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get the appeal when a throw comes with a bunch of goodies. I suppose my gripe is with straight up unboxing videos with little substance beyond showing viewers a few other things in the box. I don’t hate it when it’s a minuteish piece in a full review (and yes, when there’s actually something to show).

4 Likes

I like first impressions, but I also like thoughts after time spent playing it for awhile because in my experience first impressions can change. But with two videos of the same yo I think @ChrisFrancz made a great point about which video do you want viewers to base decisions on?

I think for me a great blend of the two would be you explaining it a bit at the table while showing the stats. If any cool extras in the packaging show it all off. Then say “here were my first thoughts when I got it a few weeks ago” and jump to you playing it for 1-2 minutes with your impressions as you throw. Then come back inside and say “Everything I thought when I first tried this was spot on” or “well, at first I hated it but now I love it because…”

Keep in mind you’re at an advantage with your format. You aren’t trying to be the first person to review the latest and greatest new product being released like some other review channels, so you can take the extra time of including first impressions along with your thoughts after really giving each yo a thorough trial time without worrying about your review video being outdated by the time you release it. Of course, if you start getting product from companies that say “this will be available in shops next week” then that changes things :joy:

Perhaps it’s due to me watching far too many guitar/amp and golf clubs reviews but I can’t stand unboxings. Nothing more boring than watching someone rip open shipping box to then open the packaging and say “oooo nice.” (duh, what did you expect to find?) The only exceptions to this (for me) is when a pro is unveiling their own signature product or when a company is sending something brand new to a video reviewer who has never seen the product before and they genuinely aren’t sure what it will be.

TL;DR: I like your videos. You have a lot of options to choose from for different formats if you choose to do so.

4 Likes

I usually skip right over the unboxing parts in a review. I couldn’t care less about what the packaging is and what stickers come with the yoyo. Stick it in a hollowed out loaf of bread, slap my address on it and I’m happy… I know it’s a big deal to some though. First impressions are cool and all but I really like your long term throw reviews. I have several yoyos that I wasn’t too fond of at first and now I love and vice versa.

3 Likes

Or a speeded up unboxing where it’s like in triple speed. An unboxing would be cool for a gifted yoyo - a yoyo the person was not expecting so there’s the surprise factor and you’re crying real hard because you’re so happy. Dylan does unboxing and I like watching him use and twirl that butterfly knife around so the cutting open part is amusing. Perhaps let your cat claw the package open. Or burn the packaging off one layer at a time.

3 Likes

Thanks, @rumstove, @ChrisFrancz, @Tanker, and all others who contributed their thoughts here. I am really liking the idea of doing something more unique. Lots of folks do unboxings and immediate reviews, and that was my initial impetus behind doing the reviews after a few weeks of play. But I think I can add a new twist by doing a first impression, a bit of play time, and then revisiting a few weeks later - all in one video, approx total running time about 10 mins. I am glad that folks seem to be enjoying my in-depth approach and that is what comes naturally to me. But I think it’s worth trying that hybrid approach that Chris first suggested and others backed. I should have something out in a couple of weeks on the Recess Komodo since I got that with the Author. Looks like both of the throws that @TheThrowingGnome dealt me will be guinea pigs

3 Likes

Spoiler alert! The Komodo is the perfect “all-arounder” throw. It’s great at everything!!

2 Likes