Anyone try one of these? I think they look really cool. Wondering how they feel compared to similar priced plastics like a Speedaholic XX.
There’s a fairly negative review here:
Haven’t played it myself, still tempted to get one lol. My guess is it won’t be anything like the Speedaholic XX, though.
I am a fan of Dale Tubat’s prints, and my brief impression is that Canopy 3D was my least favorite. I was super impressed with the play of the Rival and (based on less time with it) Fury is at least as good. Intro is not intended to be the same class, but it is great for what it is.
Canopy 3D is just okay by comparison, though Canopy completists may be happy enough with it.
- Canopy 3D plays way lighter than ~70g, IMO, probably due to the low density of the material. OTOH, it doesn’t have the kind of power that people might associate with a yo-yo at this weight.
- The surface is kind of stone like, as if it were plastic granite. This is unlike the other Tubat designs. It is unique, but not great for play. It isn’t sticky like molded PC, but it is pretty rough.
- It has a smaller than average diameter for a performance plastic (56mm). I think this is a nice size, but it requires compromises in plastic that, IME, detract from performance (without weight rings or caps).
- One of the small diameter plastic compromises is that material has to go into cup to make the weight necessary to compensate for the density, and that limits IRG options (which the Rival and Fury don’t have either). But since surface not really grind friendly, I don’t think grind-able inner rim is really a missing feature.
- I didn’t notice any glaring issue with the binds. String, pad, bind selection and just all-around expectations are so varied, it’s always a gray area to me. (If there is a problem I don’t think plastic bearing posts are the source.)
I think it is an option that someone might have to be a Canopy fan to truly appreciate. The profile and overall aesthetic are in-line with the brand. The price is right. It’s not the best performing plastic or Tubat design, but it is enjoyable.
Then again, someone expecting that the Canopy brand means that it is more performant or refined than average for a plastic or a 3D print may be disappointed.
I think it is worth noting that all of the Tubat designs are pretty “plastic-y”. They feel hollow and they don’t tighten down like a typical yo-yo. Performance is still good to great, especially for the price, but they feel less refined than the Speedaholic or even the First Base.
Thanks for the insight! I might look into some of the other ones.










