Atmos Projects present: The Ekta

Hey everyone! : ) My name’s Reuben, and I’ve been around here for some time. Just wanted to share something I’ve been working on for the past couple of months : )

This whole project starts with a deep interest for how form influences playfeel. The throws that have always felt best to me were “fatty” organics. On a tactile level, they are full-sized, have incredibly comfortable curves, and feel great in the hand. In my opinion, it’s half the reason why people love organics in the first place : ) Playwise, they are zippy and full of floaty goodness. The Cloudberry is my attempt to do all that, but with enough oomph to get through any modern trickset – in other words, to make the most comfortable throw I can imagine.

Specs
Diameter: 56.4 mm
Width: 48.58 mm
Weight 64.07 g
Gap Width 4.4 mm
Material: 7068 Aluminium

Working with 7068 AL was something exciting for me personally. The denser and stronger alloy allows me to keep the walls as thin as possible, which was necessary for two crucial things – firstly, to keep the overall weight down; and secondly, to be creative with apportioning rim weight where it needed it to be.

Something I really wanted to move away from was clunky or forceful weight distribution, which made other throws with otherwise really, really nice profiles feel heavy or unwieldy in play.

Keeping the cup open, simple, and with as much unbroken curvature as possible was important in my design process – very likely influenced by my experience in pottery. While most throws get power from thick and fat rims, I wanted to keep the rim lip as gradual and subtle as possible. Using 7068 gives me the freedom to add significant rim weight without having to disproportionately inflate the area.

Being full-sized, wide, and still only 64.07 g in weight, the Cloudberry has an MOI of 15,660. It might feel light and agile on the string, but it will have enough power to last through the longest of your combos.

Here’s one bonus detail I really enjoy – a steep, sloping response step leading to a schmoove ring. In addition to a width of 48.58mm, the Cloudberry’s going to be extremely forgiving in the departments of string friction and having a wide catchment area.

I’ve a small run of prototypes that are being machined right now, and will share more about them when they arrive! In the meantime, do let me know what you think! Comments, questions, thoughts and criticism are very welcome : )

56 Likes

Nice yoyo

3 Likes

It looks absolutely beautiful, and the ano colours in the render are great.

5 Likes

Congrats on the design, it looks really good :slight_smile:.

And I need to point out how great your description is! The explanations feel detailed yet still very understandable for people with no experience designing yoyos like myself.

4 Likes

@Jorix thanks man! : )

@Glenacius_K thanks glen! i’m a fan of your work and i know the incredible attention you pay to your craft, so your comments do mean a lot coming from you : )

@stringKnot i appreciate you saying that :joy: i sometimes found it hard to understand the denser, more technical pieces that were very useful once decoded! am definitely trying to say things as simply as possible : ) glad you like the designs!

4 Likes

This looks brilliant! Love everything about this.
A half swap with the pink and blue would be so nice. Wait so would the blue and green…and the pink and green!
Looking forward to see how the prototypes turn out

1 Like

thank you!! i spent nearly two weeks on the colours, so i’m really pumped to see how they actually turn out. the machinist says they’re just about to be anodised in a couple of days, so hopefully i can get you guys some pictures in a bit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really want one of those prototypes.

2 Likes

Looks powerful! Really interested to see how that large step effects play.

2 Likes

@Glenacius_K i’ll definitely keep that in mind! : ) let me figure out the details and i’ll do my best to get you one.

@hobbygod thanks! : ) i agree, it’s hard to tell definitively with just pictures. the hope is that rail-type and horizontal tricks (the kind that usually maximise contact between wall and string) feel creamy smooth. i’ll update on playfeel here when i get the protos in hand : )

2 Likes

hm very interesting! (in a good way) it has the shape of an n11, the weight of a memento, and the width of a wangle

1 Like

haha. these weren’t the yoyos i had in mind when drawing it up, but i guess that is factual. :joy:

2 Likes

Are dey will be for sale?

1 Like

Yes, at some point :slight_smile: There are still a couple of steps between now and then, but I’m hoping to make these available to you all in some time.

3 Likes

Please let us know when they will be redy.

1 Like

I definitely will! Watch this space : ) Thanks so much for your interest.

1 Like

This yoyo looks good, very good.

2 Likes

@rnsy How many are being made? So i know if i have a chance :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Beautiful presentation.

Looks pretty slick to me.

Great job!

3 Likes

It looks good! Nice work!

2 Likes