Aggravating...

To the OP:
As you continue school and go on to college or ge a job, you’ll find out that everydbody in the world – and I mean EVERYBODY – can be placed into one of two groups: people who can only live life in their own shoes and people who can see other peoples’ point of view. The kid who bugged you is in the former group. In life, you want to surround yourself with people in the latter group.

If I told him I would likely get punched, or crapped on more by other people. people don’t like to be wrong at my school…

or at all for that matter

which brings us back on the usual “haters gonna hate”

it’s their (poor) choice to actually spend time and energy on something they actually don’t enjoy and that has no affect on their lives whatsoever.

we only have so much in our life (time and energy), people you want to be friend with are the ones using that time and energy to make something good, positive and constructive.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right there. I don’t know why people (in general, not just when it comes to throwing) feel the need to go out of their way to give someone grief for something that has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on their own lives. I guess people are just crazy like that.

Yuki

Do a Boomerang a few inches from their face next time they make a “sly” comment on your yoyoing. Thatll shut em up. Ha

1 Like

THIS!

Yuki

I have a friend like that.

he literally says “yo-yoing is a pathetic waste of time and i don’t see why anyone would waste their life with a toy”… while playing a video game on his iPod.

I know this kind of reaction is incredibly tempting in confrontational situations and I’m sure Proboscis is speaking with his tongue firmly in cheek, but DON"T EVER throw a Boomerang towards anyone in any social situation. When you respond in a fashion such as this suddenly you become the bad guy and the your denigrating critic becomes the victim. And heaven forbid, if you miscalculate and the smartmouth catches the yo on the nose or cheekbone you will find your yoyos and probably even yourself suspended from attending school for a while.

How about this instead; carry an extra throw. When you have a detractor in your face take yoyo #2 out and ask if they would like to give it a try. Now the challenge has moved from a faceoff to a friendly gesture.

1 Like

To do anything out of the norm in public, including yoyoing, involves the risk that someone will say something negative. That gives you the advantage of anticipation. You can teach yourself to learn to anticipate negative comments and how you want to react. I personally believe that we all have our own problems, baggage if you will. Some people need, yes need to say negative things for various reasons. They might be trying to impress friends, heavy heavy baggage, they may be insecure and feeling unnoticed themselves, if they can ruin your day they actually matter. It is so much more than someone just picking on someone. I really don’t see their negative comments as an indicator of my value but as an indicator of where they are in life. In time you may too.

Hurtful words have more power because we give them more power over us. I am around students all the time, and I hear them say wonderful things to one another. At the end of the day, they only can remember and share the few negative things that were said to them. We give hurtful words far to much power over our lives. We need to appreciate the kind words, the supportive words, the meaningful words more, the hateful words much much less.

3 Likes

I’d be like, “Ok, so what is something that impresses you?”

And if he has a good answer, I’d either say, “Ok, good answer, wish I could do that,” OR, “Ok, good answer, I can actually do that too and I’ll show you sometime,” and leave it at that…

If he has a dumb answer I’d say, “So you don’t even have a good answer to that question, why should I listen to you?” If he has no answer, I’d say, “If you don’t even know what impresses you, then I can’t be expected to impress you, can I?”

1 Like

Throw yoyos, not punches.

1 Like

I didn’t throw in HS but if I did I would refrain from doing it personally. Those kids just put out negative comments which could be: Aggravating. In college I started throwing and most kids were just like: “how much did you spend? what the? well thats still awesome but I can’t believe you spent 70 on a yoyo.” I would respond that I needed one that much money to do tricks: I thought I did at the time. Either way yes. College is where you will shine. Don’t do it if you want to join a frat though.

never heard something more true!!

When that kid made the unsolicited comment that he was not impressed, it meant…actually he was impressed. It was like reverse psychology, and he liked it, but wanted you to think the opposite. Trust me, not that it matters, but you impressed him a lot if he said that to you. He sounds like a head case. You impressed the head case.

1 Like