A bst psa. :)

I mean, okay. But that’s just arguing a technicality. Let’s pretend I said:

I’m active on a couple different forums for various hobbies I have and most have similar “don’t be a jerk about bumping” rules without any “no questions on the thread” suggestions.

My point remains the same. In my experience, I have not seen conversation on B/S/T threads be a problem on other forums with rules on how often you can bump.

I guess it depends on what is perceived as a “problem”. Conversation in the threads does defeat the bump rule… to some degree. Wether or not that’s a problem is I suppose debatable.

No, actually, I don’t…

I fully support intervening in those specific cases versus an over-broad general rule that a) isn’t necessary based on today’s forum and b) has damaging follow-on effects to relevant & meaningful conversations.

I am sure things were different in 2008 and 2003, but here in 2018… I just can’t see that rule making sense, and it’s kinda harmful to boot.

Another interesting idea, but honestly more of a “nice to have” than a requirement from my perspective.

Based on what we’re discussing here it possibly should be a requirement. I mean a lot of other forum software has that ability already, so there are others having this same issue and they’ve taken the steps to address it.

1 Like

So your opinion is the one bump per day rule doesn’t make sense? Just want to make sure I understand.

Who mentioned 2003? Do you think hyperbole makes a stronger argument?

2 Likes

I do, actually! Particularly since some decisions seem mired in the past, and not reflective of current conditions on the ground on a few different levels :wink:

I do not feel that infrequent bursts of relevant conversation in a BST topic are materially different from a once-a-day bump. It’s certainly far more interesting and useful to me as a frequent participant in BST topics, though – and it definitely contributes to the feeling of this place being alive versus… uh, dead.

1 Like

Well the only “rule” spoken of here is the bump rule.

And honestly I’m done arguing about it. Someone that condones truth stretching or hyperbole isn’t a fun argument.

2 Likes

You’ve told me a million times to stop exaggerating! :wink:

I dunno, this is one I feel strongly about because it legit would have a chilling effect, per the real example I already cited. (and you ignored)

To be clear I am totally for the mods intervening when there is irrelevant extended conversation in a BST topic… on an as-needed basis.

1 Like

We could just follow the rules.

If the listing is correctly posted (damage pictured, prices listed, etc etc) there shouldn’t be much need to PM or ask questions, other than to setup the deal.

The 1 Bump a day is nice. It’s a simple rule. Easy to follow.

4 Likes

This isn’t a rule, it is a “PSA”. Which I strongly disagree with for reasons previously stated above at great length. I also agree with @photogeek when he says

I believe this is an actively harmful “PSA” as stated. If it was reformulated to

please avoid extended conversations in BST topics

Then I could agree with it.

1 Like

Not saying this is a good or bad idea, however, the question of “do we really want to discourage posting on the forum?” comes to mind.

2 Likes

There are plenty of places on this forum to post as often as you like. To get in all the discussions you like. The BST board just isn’t one of them. It serves a different purpose than the other boards on the forum.

1 Like

Perhaps, but questions and clarifications about the actual thing for sale/trade are helpful to everyone reading the topic – and indicate this place is alive, versus… not alive.

I’m with you on discouraging random conversations in b/s/t topics.

Rule… I think 6 states the 1 Max Bump dealeo.

Also the BST rules lay out a good format that, when followed, shouldn’t really call for any additional public dialog on the BST post.

Examples, proper price ( which should INCLUDE shipping and fees in the total), proper pictures (showing any damage), proper condition listed. Etc etc.

This PSA is good, everyone should go back and read the BST rules.

:tipping_hand_man:t3: $.02

Seems to me the solution has already been suggested.

It wouldn’t be a difficult thing to implement a bump button for the OP in the BST threads that resets once every 24 hours, and then turn off the bump function for all other additions to the thread. I’ve seen it done on many other forums.

It solves both problems. You get the conversation on the topic (which can also be moderated for relevancy) and you get the one bump per 24 hour rule.

It’s pretty simple.

3 Likes

@codinghorror Is this something that could be done if we wanted it?

1 Like

I still prefer an actual post, but in theory, yes… a “bump limiter” if you will.

2 Likes

I’ll second this request. That way, people can have all the public discussion they want, and it still keeps the rule of one bump per day.

Win win

3 Likes