5AMay 2024 - Week 3

Here’s my submission for the trick ladder + trick of the week, all of them in order.

Also as an addendum, there’s a bit of a divorce between what a bee sting is between the English speaking community and other parts of the world. If you’re familiar with the concept of a “hard” bee sting, in other parts of the world a hard bee sting is just a half bee sting. The yotricks tutorial for a “half bee sting” is a completely different trick. A full, proper bee sting (also known sometimes as a soft bee sting) is what Miggy shows in the tutorial for this week. For it to be a full bee sting you need to redirect the yoyo after tapping the string, before catching the counterweight. If you just let the yoyo land into an undermount and catch the counterweight, that’s just a half bee sting.

Terminology is weird, here’s an exaggerated video I just recorded to show the difference. If you want to learn more advanced bee sting variations you need to learn the full bee sting, but just learning the half bee sting first is a perfectly acceptable place to start. I just felt like mentioning this since this discussion actually came up the other day of people being confused why Americans were calling half bee stings just “bee stings.”

Also sorry for the bad quality on these two videos, it’s late and there’s a wasp chilling on my balcony that I do not wanna deal with lol

11 Likes