Team Throw-Yo Thread

Team Throw-Yo would like to wish a warm welcome to our first team member, Nic Conrick! (@Nic_from_Adelaide)

Nic Conrick is an Australian born artist, maker and musician. From oboes to yoyos, this guy will make anything from anything.

The maniac who unleashed the Cowclops upon the world, Nic has been throwing yo-yos for three decades and is now making yoyos, string and counterweights to handle the most extreme 0A tricks.

You can find the above info, as well as Nic’s socials, on the Team Throw-Yo page.

Team Throw-Yo isn’t your typical yo-yo team. It’s not about how well you throw, or how large your socials are. It’s about your creativity, your drive, your eagerness to push boundaries. Team Throw-Yo is a team of makers and artists in the skill-toy community looking to share their work and help grow the hobby in new and creative ways.

32 Likes

congrats nic very cool

4 Likes

Thanks Rob

To get this ball rolling, today I’m testing the colour penetration and bleaching on some different stains for use in laminates. These have had a week in the sun and are ready to glue, half with PVA and half epoxy.

Regionals last weekend were a blast! Fourth place in Y Division and got to chat with Stu Brown from Werrd / YoBoY and Brandon Vu from Offset about wooden yoyos.

6 Likes

New counterweights are out of this world!

Battleworn Droids

Galaxy Splashes and a Glowworm.

I like this setup with a double wrapped burger bead so the tail tucks inside the CW

Tails in or out?

15 Likes

Beautiful work!

3 Likes

Man…those are fabulous!! I love the spiraled worm with the bead.

2 Likes

Thanks, at the moment the worms are my favourite for begleri but I’ve just made some shark egg and seasnail shapes I haven’t tested yet.

6 Likes

They say that May is the best time to find String Gobblers. Happy hunting!

10 Likes

String Gobbler counterweight test

5 Likes

OMG. I love these!

2 Likes

I made these with low expectations about how they’d play, but they turned out amazing. And there’s a strange satisfaction when our eyes occasionally meet during tricks.

2 Likes

All of these are amazing!!! You speak of begleri and that makes me want them even more!! Maybe 5-10 of them. :flushed:

1 Like

Also… I was looking at these incredible counterweights but somehow completely missed the title of this thread!!! Team Throw-Yo member Nic made these. :smiley::smiley:
This is awesome!!!

1 Like

So I hope you don’t mind me telling a little story here. I promise it pertains to these amazing creations…….you got a minute??

I can go 5-10 more. Just still trying to figure out what makes begleri work well.

3 Likes

Go for it

So I have really been trying to find a fidget that will work for my wife. She doesn’t really take to yo-yo. She likes the cup and ball as well as Kendama but those don’t pocket too easy. My wife is an engineer and she works designing new fiber optic systems to supply broadband in rural areas. So she is outside, traipsing around in power line trails and wooded areas to take measurements and flag and stake prospective routes for the cables to go in… and so on. I digress… she needs something pocketable that she will enjoy but is also easy to keep track of….wait for it…here’s where we get to your stuff…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think Begleri would be great for her and we have not tried that…and those Gobblers are just the sort of thing that will bring one of the most infectious smiles you’ve ever seen to her beautiful little face. So I am hoping that this is leading towards some sort of availability. :smiley:
Now if I have missed it because I haven’t clicked that link to your socials yet, I apologize. I don’t mess around on the other social platforms really, so they are foreign to me. But I will be checking that out momentarily. And if these are not available…just know that you’re breaking my heart and crushing my dreams. Have a nice day. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

So then, would these be dual purpose? I mean, usable for a counterweight or Begleri. Maybe switchable?

2 Likes

While they could be dual purpose, I definitely have different tastes for counterweights and begleri.

The begleri I’ve made have been getting smaller and lighter, whereas counterweights seem to be going in every direction as people adapt them to every style that works with a counterweight.

I’ll make some smaller String Gobblers tomorrow after work.

Also, my grandfather ran one of the teams which built the Overland Telegraph Wire. I would have liked to be a surveyor.

1 Like

Team Throw-Yo would like to wish a warm welcome to our newest team member, Kris Pyrotechnic! (@pyrotechnic)

Pyro is from NC lives in ID her my wife/partner Sarah, that also yoyos, and their son Leonard. In fact they meet on the old Theyo Forum chatroom in 2005. Pyro has been yoyoing since the 1999 " yoyo boom" and been modifying yoyos as long as she’s been playing with them.

You can find the above info, as well as Pyro’s socials, on the Team Throw-Yo page.

Team Throw-Yo isn’t your typical yo-yo team. It’s not about how well you throw, or how large your socials are. It’s about your creativity, your drive, your eagerness to push boundaries. Team Throw-Yo is a team of makers and artists in the skill-toy community looking to share their work and help grow the hobby in new and creative ways.

15 Likes