Switching Out Stock Bearings

Started out putting konKave bearing in everything, yes very expensive. Always a string centering bearing, never liked center trac cause of the noise. then I moved on to crucial grooved cause price was little lower and still played quiet, really like them but when twisted trifectas came out switched to them I felt they were smoother and more quiet. Never replaced the KonKaves or Crucials, still like them too. Then the B.O.S.S. Rage came out and the price is just too good and the bearing is awesome at that. I think on just bearings alone I have spent over 500. I have bought close to 100 string centering bearing; its a disease, but I think every yoyo plays better with a string centering bearing. I have put bearings in cheap plastic yoyo’s that cost the same as the throw.

OD 10 balls or nothin :slight_smile:

I’ll try other bearings just for a taste test, but as a rule of thumb I won’t throw anything but Terrapin. If youre going to put your hard earned money into expensive yoyos, get the best possible bearing to make the throw play to its full potential.

I dont like kks. I only use flat. I have the smoothest bearing in history in y cheif, snd its a yyj speed.

I am a 10 ball or KK guy. Depends on the throw. All my one drops have 10 balls and the CLYW and others have a KK or 10 ball. I can’t stand CT bearings.

That means you’re in the “sometimes” category, as your 10 ball One Drops are played stock, and the CLYWs are always switched out. Does this mean you always have CTs for sale? :slight_smile:

By the way…“sometimes” is leading in the poll…interesting. I gave the “always play stock” vote.

Not for sale but whenever I sell a yoyo I put the original bearing back in. So if I sell a CLYW I generally will put the CT back into the yoyo. OR if I am feeling friendly I will give the buyer the choice between the CT, KK or a 10 Ball… I think sometimes ppl like the upgrade if they have the chance. But yea I voted for “sometimes” as well.

I really don’t worry with what bearing is in the yoyo. Whether its a KK, CT, 10 ball, Spec, or whatever else I’ll play it the way it came. I do see slight differences between the types, but it’s not a big enough difference for me to switch to nothing but a certain bearing. So I always play it stock.

I usually use the stock bearing (mostly 10ball since most are one drop throws). However, this weekend I’m trying out the Buddha ripple and whipple.

Thanks
I have quite a few repeat customers that will order a TX bearing at the same time they
order a new throw, no matter what one it is.

I’m still experimenting, but I’m finding I like to switch bearings depending on my mood, that way my tiny collection of 2 yo-yos becomes almost like 6 or so, one day I might feel like a CT the next a CC then maybe a flat one. Although I do get a little annoyed with my CC 'cause my binds always seem to slip, but the CT doesn’t have that problem.

Ah and I WAS quite enjoying my new TX Wing, but IDK why but it’s been a bit temperamental, it was beautiful when I got it, then after a day it went responsive, but then the next day it came good again, but then went responsive again, so I took the air compressor to it, which helped a lot but not quite what it was when I got it, and then it went responsive again. But doing my best not to freak out until I take the compressor to it again a little more. And on a more personal note I would have liked a tiny bit more shape to it, but I totally get why it’s the way it is so, not really complaining about that just a preference

Funny thing about I take the stock bearings out of my throws and switch around with other throws until I feel like I have everything in the right place. Yeah I’m kinda weird.

You must have something in it, clean it a bit more.
Is it the S/C ceramic or steel bearing?

yeh, Stainless/ Ceramic

it’s just that it’s still really early in the morning right now so I don’t want to wake everyone up by turning the air compressor on :stuck_out_tongue: so I still have to wait another few hours before I clean it some more

OK the S/C’s you just put on a little stick of some sort and swish and spin them around in some acetone, no further lube required, dries in seconds forget the compressor

Don’t have any Acetone, what about Methylated Spirits? it’s worked from my stainless bearings.

Better then nothing, but acetone is the best

(I quoted myself)

In a dramatic change of heart I decided to experiment a little. I figured out something quite strange. (IMO). I found a Yomega 10 ball in my yo mod. I cleaned it. Put a drop of lube. Stuck it in my protostar. And it is dead silent and long spinning. Never heard my protostar make zero sound. It is a upgrade from the CT that comes stock. I may just start experimenting more often.

The yo mod pro speed, dash, maverick, and I believe the plastic ooch come with yomegas ten ball. Which is surprisingly good, especially after a detailed cleaning and dry live application. Entirely unresponsive and very quiet. You won’t be getting any record breaking spin times out of it, but I was impressed by it being a stock bearing. It’s hard to notice its quiet in the yo mods. They make ten balls scream. It may just be my luck but I’ve yet to have good duration experiences with cts. The one’s I’ve had ended up opera singing shortly after they were broken in. No amount of paper, acetone, air compressor, or dry play has been able to revive it.

Chris has Cleaned YoYoJam speed bearings in his YoYoJam’s and I gotta say they’re amazing. I don’t really like Speed bearings, but when they’re cleaned they’re great!