Suggestion on buying new unresponsive bearings?

I bought 99% isopropyl alcohol from amazon.
I would normally agree that maybe its just a dud, however that would mean i have far too many duds statistically speaking. Lol

2 Likes

Maybe im looking at the wrong statistic, normally i judge a bearing off of how long and smooth is spins when its clean and dry. And now im wondering if maybe thats the wrong thing to focus on altogether, i just put a lubed bearing in my yoyo and it barely spins 5 seconds on the end of a pencil, but when im actually throwing that same yoyo in play…im not picking up any kind function error or anything bad. It seems to be playing as expected.

1 Like

That’s interesting and good to hear you’ve got something working. :hugs:

G2 Ripper, YYR DS, or TBST VIP are the 3 bearings i use exclusively

1 Like

Yea im thinking i was judging what a good bearing is wrongly. Like i said i was judging from the spin time of freshly clean and dry bearing. I thought it spins long and good while being clean and dry then its gotta be good. However like i said after i experimented with lubing a “so-so” bearing and did my old test i barely got 5 sec spins time on a pencil, but i decided to play it anyway and it still seems to be going good.

2 Likes

I agree and I’ve experienced somewhat the opposite. I’ve had bearings that spin insanely good on the chopstick. But when installed it would grab and return with a slam into the back of my hand. Tried different strings and response and no difference. Replaced the bearing and all good. I also noticed that if I snug a bearing a bit too much on the chopstick it wouldn’t spin, very weird but tested repeatedly. Glad you found something that’s working for you :hugs:

1 Like

Try lighter fluid or mineral spirits. I have had greater succes with those over acetone. I am not sure if the percentage rating is highly regulated on acetone so there may be some discrepancy among brands.

Mineral spirits always seem to not work well for me.

I would go with a Sochi bearing.

Yea so I actually dont use the chopsticks…i used a bearing removal tool and that way it cant accidentally be made too snug like you said.

Thank you Scott for the suggestions. I managed to aquire the nsk kincave and the yyf center trac by nsk. The DS was sold out unfortunately so i guess i gotta wait for that one.
First impressions of the nsk koncave, i like that its only a 8ball bearing, and omg its smooth and so so quiet. Like a silent ninja lol. Havrnt tried the center trac but i expect similar results

3 Likes

Check these pics put guys, i think the bearing was slightly out of spec and too tight, it literally wcored the bearing seat of my yoyo and the bearing itself.

3 Likes

I found out this to be quite normal, I have this in basically every single yoyo or at least 80% of the yoyos I tried, there is an old and boring topic about bearing tolerance, seems like One drop nail it from years and study it a lot (if you have a One drop yoyo it has actually a great bearing fit) but other brands do not really care about it as it is not important in terms of yoyo vibrations and similar.

About your bearing request I use the DS bearings, a bit expensive but I never got one locked or broken, some of the most realiable piece of equipment I have in the yoyo world!

1 Like

This shitty part is the bearing in the photo is a two day old 20$ nsk bearing and the yoyo is alos roughly a week old. I havent noticed it in other yoyos I have, and it wouldnt be an issue except all my other bearings fit fine. The yoyo in the pic is now completely vibed out. It Shakes so bad. Gonna have to replace it i think, unless i can sand or file the bearing seat smooth again.

1 Like

I was writing something, had to delete after zoom properly the picture.

Idk if it was defective the bearing or the yoyo in this case, it’s insane that took it off completely the metal from the bearing sit, idk if this can cause wobbling but is probably possible, wow never seen a damage like that.

When you fit the bearing it was incredibly tight? usually when it is tight also close the yoyo halves become super hard.

Idk if this issue can be eligible for replacement, talk with the shop and explain, obviously you bought a C bearing that should fit that yoyo but it didn’t, can be one of those two defected, if you bought both from the same shop probably should be easier a replamcement

Since that yoyo is only a week old, did you try other bearings before dropping in the nsk? Have you tried (carefully of course) the nsk bearing on other yoyos?

Yea this is the first time i ever seen this as well. And like you im not sure which was the issue, was the bearing just a bunk one and not perfectly specced or was the yoyo the issue, i will say i used other (cheap) bearings in that yoyo and never noticed a issue, of course i never thought to inspect for that kind of damage until it started behaving strangely.

Let me ask ya something. The bearing was a platinum nsk koncave, is it possible that the platinum coating some how scrapped off and caused a rotation issue around the bearing seat?

Lol its funny you mentioned the customer service rep. I just got a response back from yoyo expert customer service rep, they are saying that they think i “have hit the dreaded break in” period of the bearing. And that those marks on the bearing seat are quite common they said.
Its strange tho none of my other throws have that kinda damage. And not to mention the inside of the bearing have a visible scratch lol. It doesnt sound like i will be able to get a replacement bearing.

*I would try pressing the bearing on the other post and screwing it together, that post will hopefully get smoothed out. I don’t think this should really be causing any vibe though, make sure you’re screwing the yoyo tight enough.

*Edit actually what’s happening is that post is tighter than the other, so the bearing just slides on it instead of spinning and wearing it smooth when the yoyo gets screwed together.

1 Like

Those marks are quite common, comes from using a bearing tool aggressively and general wear and tear, like 60-70% of my older yoyos have developed posts like that. Companies will purposefully machine their bearing seats to be as tight as possible since its an easy way to help reduce b grade rates, very common on cheaper yoyos

you can sand the post down a tiny bit but it can 100% introduce vibe to your yoyo if you go overboard

NSKs also tend to fit tighter on the posts in my opinion

2 Likes