other solvents to clean bearings with?????

I have not had experience with heavily lubed bearings from the manufacturer. Breaking down already existing lube or removing it could make sense unless the factory put it there for a reason.

One thing that has puzzled me is how fuzz or anything can get into a yoyo bearing? Both of the bearing faces (the only part with any open gaps in the seal) are seated firmly against the opposing faces of the yoyo. If dirt and grime do not get into fully exposed bearing faces on skateboards, how does “fuzz” get into bearings that are protected by the respective yoyo halves?

That there is a small gap in the shields is part of the design. It allows air to move through the bearing while spinning. Even if grime were to get through that small gap, it would still have to work its way around and under the bearing races (the plastic shield that keeps the bearings evenly spaced within the bearing). So, how does it do that?

Clearly it is very improbable that any grime will get into a yoyo bearing unless it is rolled around in fine dirt outside of the yoyo assembly. Once a yoyo is assembled I fail to see any way that any foreign object can get into the bearing.

So why clean it? The real reason that I think people clean bearings is that they hope to make a crappy bearing into a good one. No amount of cleaning and lubing will make a $2.95 bearing spin as well as a $10 bearing.

One last point: about the air that you all blow through the bearing to dry it off. I hope that it is filtered air. Because if it is just compressed air - you risk blowing dust and grime into the bearing itself.

yoyogeezer:
There is most certanly a difference in my bearing after cleaning it after a few days of play. A matter of fact I can feel a difference between a drop of thinlube and “just slightly moistened”. So YES there is a HUGE difference bewteen a drop of thinelube and a drop of thicklube.
Sometimes I think the popular theory is “if I can get one more second of sleeptime, its worth it.” I sort of subscribe to that theory, LOL.

IMHO: if Frank Difeyo recomends cleaning than I take it as the word of God himself.(bows to Frank)

We are talking about a yoyo here, A lot less inertia that a 150 pound kid on a skate board.

HOWEVER, I agree with you that NOOBs make too much of it and overclean thinking that they can make $2 bearing feel like a CKK. I admit I have done it myself. :slight_smile:

Throw to live, Live to throw. 8)

I know it seems impossible but you have to take it for what it is. JHB said that they aren’t truly sealed bearings and that is true. If you look at a bearing the shield does not touch the inner race. If it did it would not spin freely. This little gap is where the string bits or Fuzz as you call it are a lot smaller than the tolerances of the yoyo halves and the bearing. I’m talking a big difference. There is more than enough room for even a hair to get in your bearing as I’ve seen my son have that happen.

I use Testors Enamel Thinner. (mineral spirits) A 2 oz bottle is about $3 at a hobby shop. I don’t know your situation, but if you have to depend on Mom’s Taxi Service, it is also available in the plastic model section of Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, and all of those craft type stores that moms like. ;D

Have Fun,
Java

Thats almost $60 a quart!! Think frugally its $6 for a QUART at a hardware/paint store. Dads LOVE hardware stores! :wink:

1 Like

I used acetone today

Here is just a bit more to think about. After you clean your bearing, the solvent you use should be thrown away. If you keep re-using it your just re-contaminating the bearing. This one one reason I buy a large quantity of solvent and get empty plastic film canisters from the 1hour photo for free. They throw them away.
My procedure: Two cans, fill half a can each. One with Simple green, my primary detergent, one with alcohol. This may sound a bit anal but it works really well. A 30 second shake in Green. Air dry with a couple shots of “dust off” and a 30 second shake in alcohol. Dust off to dry then ever so slightly moisten the bearing with thinlube.
By reading the threads it looks like the topic is akin to cooking chili, everyone has their own way and that way is best, LOL ;D. If your way works well for you then God bless you! But really, think about not reusing the solvent, or at least run it thru a scrap of coffee maker filter.