8 years ago, I Killed a bearing with tap water, and have never posted again.. now what?

I think you’re misunderstanding what people are debating. Not your right to clean a bearing thoroughly, but rather statements like “Sure, if you’re okay with mediocre performance out of the bearing. If you want it to perform to its full potential then the cleaning process makes a big difference,” which is an exaggeration and subtly judgemental.

In other words, most are arguing about your exaggerated assessment of the results one gets from “inferior processes”. Cleaning a bearing is in fact not rocket science (the statement that prompted the above quote) and the methods suggested weren’t necessarily just a simple “dip in some arbitrary solvent” but perfectly reasonable way to get GOOD (not mediocre) results.

It definitely takes two sides to drag out a debate, so it’s not very becoming to play the injured party when to the best of my understanding, you were the first one to throw out a (mildly) inflammatory statement and had no problem pursuing a debate with those of us who cared to respond…!

If you really want “peace” on the topic, it’s easy to just not engage in those discussions…

I think the way you lube has a larger effect, but cleaning method does make a difference.

can i use sanitizer?

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s usually thick. You should use something that’s a degreaser that evaporates without leaving any residue. Acetone is best. Rubbing alcohol is ok. Even fingernail polish remover will work if you have some.