ZGRT: Basilisk monometal (re-run) releasing next week

This is a project we have been working on for a long time and finally it is coming to life! El MiJo (pronounced ‘ME-ho’) is our first under the slim line category.

The Project:

We love exploring new concepts to incorporate in our throws whilst maintaining the classic yoyo fundamentals. For this project, we wanted to bring out the shape and playability of a classic yoyo. A yoyo that could be easily tossed in your pocket but at the same time, a yoyo that is capable of being played in different ways.

Specs:

Diam: 56.1 mm

Width: 30 mm - 32 mm

Gap: 2.38 mm - 4.4 mm

Weight: ~ 58 gr

Material: 7075 aluminum

Includes:

• Flat D bearing - 5 mm width

• Concave D bearing - 5 mm width

• Flat D bearing - 3 mm width

• Zero Gravity blank d-bearing design.

• Bearing remover

The design of this throw required considerable customization and multiple rounds of prototyping to get the results we were looking for. Due to its specialized dimensions and structure, we needed to get its weight distribution and internal wall design just right. Having a narrow width and moving weight towards the outer diameter of the yoyo required meticulous calculation as well as designing and positioning the caps just right.

El MiJo has custom-made silicone pads with big side walls to ensure an effective response system. The dimensions of the response pad system also required several trials and testings before choosing the one that performed the best.

This yoyo can hold different D bearing sizes to play either unresponsive or responsive, and at the same time, el Mijo can be played as a ‘fixie’ by using our uniquely engineered accessory. El MiJo comes with two axles: an 8 mm axle and a 10 mm axle. Although the 8 mm axle can be used with all the configurations, we included a 10 mm axle to use it with the wider bearing in order to ensure a good connection between the two discs.

For extra fun, we designed el MiJo with a finger spin nub that is hard to resist experimenting with! This finger nub has become a challenge amongst the ZGRT team to see who can hook into it the way you would with a cup shaped wider yoyo. Along the way, we have found very creative ways to lock into it, and when you do, el MiJo spins beautifully!

El MiJo is smooth as silk and extremely fun to play with. Its shape is extremely comfortable in the hand due to its size and rounded edges. It also feels super nice to hold which makes it hard to put down! The weight of this throw is in the 58 gr range depending on the type of bearing you choose. Amongst the different weights we tried out with the prototypes, this weight was the one that allowed us to have a light yoyo but not so light that it compromised spin time.

The Name:

El MiJo tells the story of a person who had a secret code he used to use with his brother to play yo-yo. His brother decided to leave this physical world but before leaving, his brother inspired him to do more with yoyos. His brother believed one day this person could be more involved in the yoyo community and even get sponsored. His brother’s visions are slowly becoming a reality.

More than a name, MiJo is a code that brings inspiration to do as many things as you want, a code that reminds you that life has its own way of making things happen, a code that is capable to bring moments back to life and a reminder to believe in yourself and to never give up. A code that reminds you to let nothing hold you down!

Dedicated to Mike and his brother Jonathan.

39 Likes

Them accessories though! Mijito preciosito!

5 Likes

Super clean look, love it!

5 Likes

:laughing: thanks @adamantiumpops

2 Likes

Thanks @codinghorror! Really liked the way they turned out.

I just now read this announcement.

Amazingly, just 10 minutes earlier, I had concluded that I was Exactly 1 yo-yo short of a full meaningful collection.

What perfectly Excellent timing.

Where’s the line start?

:nerd_face:

13 Likes

Thanks @yoyodoc ! I PM’d you already.

3 Likes

Afaik, it’s short for “mi hijo” in Spanish, meaning “my son.”

I’m curious to hear the name origins, either way.

5 Likes

You are correct @djinni_cake !

4 Likes

Is this pronounced mee-hoe? Or mee-joe? In Spanish it’s a breathy ‘h’ sound, not a hard ‘j’.

I call my son this every day, and was called it growing up as well. Brings nothing but good memories for me.

10 Likes

Those look real sleek.

3 Likes

In spanish is pronounced “mee-hoe”, like you said. In Portuguese is pronounced “mee-jo”

Its more the Spanish breathy H… should sound like “mi hijo” in Spanish but with out the hi in hijo. el Me-Ho. Hopefully that helps.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I’m 100% on the Spanish pronunciation. Just wanting to clarify the pronunciation in Portuguese which I do not speak. Glad to know at least out loud we won’t be referring to this dope looking throw as urine :joy:.

3 Likes

So when can I buy 2 of my new EDC???:grin::grin:

1 Like

The term el MiJo comes from the beginning of my brother’s and my name, Michael and Jonathan, my parents are native Argentinian and they used to refer to us as MiJo… not MiJoe… deff use the Spanish pronunciation. Hope that helps.

12 Likes

So…. What happened to your brother?

He unfortunately passed away 2 years ago.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear that, Mike.

At my age(70)now, I have had so many people pass away around me. And I feel like anybody that passes away that is much younger than me, makes me sad.

When it is people I actually knew, I certainly miss them.

And when it is somebody I didn’t know, I know how their friends and relatives must feel.

I distract my grief by focusing on the good times we shared. No other option really.

14 Likes

When does it drop? Would definitely be a great edc for me.