YouTube Hax watch out!!!

ok i got a letter from the admin of youtube this morning and says there was a leak with all of the paswords to every account it told me to log in again. so i did. 20 minutes later its hacked! some guy locked me out of my personal account and can do whatever he wants! be carful!

thanx for the heads up!

Not me. I was logged in for like the last 4 days and nothing happened.

That’s because Mike reported the guy who did it. Also, not every person is going to get hacked :slight_smile:

THATS ALOT OF SCRIPT

yikes

My man, you’ve just become the victim of a nasty little trick known as a spoof letter.

When the e-mail asked you to “log in again” to YouTube, you didn’t. It just looked like you did.

The e-mail link you obviously clicked on redirected you to a fake website, designed to look indistinguishable from the real YT login page. From there, you were had.

In the future, you never, EVER log into a website (YouTube or anything else, for that matter) without making sure you’re at the official website. If you have to type the address in manually, or hit it from your bookmarks to be safe, make sure you do. Don’t ever trust links from e-mails or the like. They ARE NOT legit.

Other popular websites have to deal with this problem, too. eBay comes immediately to mind. The amount of spoof and phishing related to eBay in a single day would blow your mind. Here, take a peep at this e-mail…

–COMPLETELY FAKE EBAY MAIL START–

Alert ID : 0262341143

You have received this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids on eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter. To help speed up this process, you are required to verify your eBay account by following the link below.

[completely fake eBay login link removed for safety]

Please save this fraud alert id for your reference

Please Note - If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be cancelled. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used to combat fraud.

We appreciate your support and understating, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification message.

Copyright 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. is located at Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125

–COMPLETELY FAKE EBAY MAIL END–

Looks real legit, doesn’t it? Did you click the link? Isn’t that the cutest thing you’ve ever seen? I sincerely hope you didn’t enter your eBay info into it, as your account is soon to be hijacked if you did. That was a fake login.

Edit: Yeah, censored the link. It occured to me just not to risk it. ;-]

It’s make to set off panic in the back of your head, and get you to do something real stupid in the heat of the moment. It’s riddled with loaded words and phrases like “fake bids” and “open investigation” to get you to make some logical mistakes.

Then, once your head is spinning, it hits you with the whammy. The 'ole “72 hours or we cancel your fradulent account” nonsense. It’s an ultimatum designed to get you to handle the business (read “scam”) as soon as you can without thinking it through.

Your YouTube letter was, no doubt, rife with these sorts of tactics as well. “Leaked passwords” and “to verify your account, we need you to log back in” were probably in it, weren’t they?

When in doubt, do nothing. When not in doubt, do nothing. You’re safer that way.