Working up to a metal yoyo?

Hey guys!

I started yoyoing several months ago with an Asteroid. As much as I loved learning on my Asteroid, I think I’m ready to move onto another yoyo . While people keep telling me to sort of build or work myself up to a metal one, getting yoyos like the Protostar, Dark Magic 2, or dv888 first, I’m just wondering if that is necessary. Should I honestly spend the time on 2-3 lower end yoyos before I actually invest in a metal one, like a Code 2 or an Albatross (aside from price)? I have a fairly solid bind so that should be a problem. Thanks for any tips! Recommendations?

Note: There is nothing wrong with the yoyos I called “lower end.” I’ve heard nothing but good things about those throws. But when you take price out of the equation, is there a reason to buy one over a “higher end” yoyo?

Matt

no, it’s completely up to you. The only reason you should do that is if you can’t/don’t want to pay the money for high end metals.
If you can bind, there’s no reason you wouldn’t be able to use an albatross, or a chief, or even like an oxy ti. Not saying you should buy a $400 oxy ti, I’m just saying you’d be able to use it just fine.

If you feel you want a nice metal, go for it.

If you want it and can afford it, get it.

Keep in mind there’s plenty of good stuff under $60 as well. But, maybe you want to spend big and get a Code2 for example.

Ideally, go to nearby yoyo meets and see if people will let you try stuff. I find price doesn’t matter as long as I enjoy the yoyos in question. All that matters in the end is that you like what you ended up with.

Well I jumped from a protostar to a limited edition gnarwhal. The only thing I noticed was that I cared less about dings even though I paid $125 myself for my first metal. I still don’t care much about dings, I only try to keep throws I might trade mint so they have higher trade value.

I think the biggest reason not to spend the $$$ on a high(-er) end yoyo when you start is in case you just don’t get into the hobby/sport. If you’re into it and you think you’ll get your money’s worth out of a $100 (or so) yoyo, go for it!! But you don’t really have to spend a ton to get something nice either (especially on the BST).

For me, I picked a trick above my ability, and I wouldn’t buy myself a nice metal until I could nail that trick. Made my Burnside even more rewarding when it came! ;D

Yeah, go for it. As noted above, you don’t have to spend a lot of money. There’s a lot of reasonably priced, good metals around, particularly on the B/S/T. My first was a “previously owned” difeo GTO. Of course it’s a slippery slope and it was all down hill from there.

Actually, I think a good choice would be getting one of those low-priced Chinese metals. Ones like Magic YoYo costs less than $20 and would perform better than most of what you would call “low-end” (i.e. bi-metal plastics, YYF FUNdametals).

I’m gonna support that statement. I’ve bought recently 4 Magic yoyos and a 5th is on the way to me as I type. I may buy more. Cheap, really solid performers. They cost “low end” but they don’t play “low end”.

My only complaint is the bearings suck sometimes, so replacing them with standard bearings is no big deal. Also, my “special edition” silver with black stripes N9 Floating Cloud, you can feel the thickness of the anodizing. That one of mien comes with a location that looks like a super nasty gouge down the inside, which at first I thought was damage.

These may be a good alternative to look for. Great for getting into stacked yoyos or wanting to try onto a budget. 3 of the 5 I ordered are stacked. Since the A Squared style uses 2 stacked yoyos, this is a cost effective way to get into that style of play since they have several models available with the wide side stacks. For under $40(very realistic), you can get a pair of stacked metal yoyos.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

The n9 floating is the best, although the bearing is a bit cheap, you could have a nice yoyo that can pull of a bunch of string tricks. The best ive gotten on the n9 is the Buddhas revenge and some others

Was it something I said?

Seriously, I think this is a brand YYE should consider carrying. It’s nice to have a decent performing low-cost metal to offer people. However, I doubt the points are going to be decent.

It’s OK. I buy a lot of my stuff here anyways.

It’s great to see that a squared is getting more notice! :wink:
But I do wish that I had thought of Magic yoyo before I dropped about $100 dollars to start a squared with G5s…

I would consider something like the burnside which is very smooth, extremely stable, has a solid bearing, is very long spinning (which I think is very important for someone’s learning pace) and forgiving on an off throw. Or maybe the c3yo yeah3, which is also stable with a really wide catch zone and nice heavy rims.

I personally went from big plastics to a markmont next, probably wasn’t the best choice being the mn is less forgiving than most in terms of precision. But I probably eventually also learned to play better faster to compensate.

Personally I don’t see a need to graduate from plastic, to other plastic, then to metal, as opposed to going directly to a metal you want to play.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

I mostly agree with that.

If you’re not sure this is what you want to do, start cheap. If you’re more determined, to start off, stay under $50. If you like it and you feel it is going to stick, then even if you’re still NEW, go nuts and spend big if you want to.

A quality metal yoyo is a a joy to hold and to behold.

There’s no single right way to do things. Many parents will want to graduate their kids with increasingly higher cost yoyos. This makes sense. It’s not always right, but it is logical.

I bounce around. I like the YYJ metal/plastics a lot. But sometimes i just want a full metal, and sometimes a full plastic. My moods can swing a lot(did I just accidentally make a joke there?), so I have a large selection with plenty of variety in it.

Trust me when I say this:
There’s no harm jumping to an expensive metal except to your bank account/wallet/stash of cash. But, this is a big pop all at once and you don’t want to make a mistake.

I can’t buy one of everything. But I do have a large collection with lots of variety. Anyone is welcome to schedule an appointment and try anything and everything.

I agree and want to add something. People such as myself and my 42 friend here have lots of choice through the day. While he didn’t say it specifically I bet like me he will sometimes pull out a budget Yoyo just for fun, heck, I even pull out an old wooden Duncan and throw it once before remembering why I keep it in a bag tacked to the wall)… What was I saying, started rambling, just woke up. Please hold… I know I had a point… Oh. Yes, so I’ll pull something like the void or burnside out even though. They’re are considered budget yoyos, and they’re great fun. My point I think, and again just woke up, is choosing a budget Yoyo from a quality manufacturer means never having to say you’re sorry. That wasn’t it. 42? Can you explain what I’m trying to say pre-coffee?

Bottom line, don’t spend your entire nomz budget on yoyos, if you don’t has nomz your yoyoing will suffer the hunger, however a better ‘budget’ Yoyo will make you a better player. Excluding ‘signature’ yoyos and other types that are over priced because someone’s name is on it. When I put signature in quotes I do so to indicate plain throws with a name on it making it over priced, not true signature yoyos like the Dang or Dietz ect.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

I should note I haven’t played the albatross yet, soon, which is why I didn’t mention it in my list. It looks like a pretty perfect stable throw though. Plus of course you can’t go wrong with something put together by those guys.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter