What is an unpopular yoyo opinion? -Everyone play nice

Funny about the strings. I’ve put minimal time into learning finger spin tricks because it winds up the string so much, you have to adjust every time. Easy enough to do a sidewinder or two on an unresponsive yoyo, but even after watching Brandon Vu’s how to video on 1A tension adjusting tricks, and reading the topic about it here in the forums, I still don’t have a nice clean way to do it on an unresponsive yoyo.

4 Likes

I can’t stand rainbow colored steel rings. These always look like someone sent a 2-year-old to pick the color.

17 Likes

9/10 times a solid ano job looks better than any splash or half swap etc. Unless it’s acid wash, I’m a sucker for those

3 Likes

quietly slides rainbow-rimmed YYF Kinetic Boost behind a stack of yoyos :pleading_face:

5 Likes

I’d actually like one one day. They look cool but I’d only want one if the body was a solid color.

4 Likes

I gravitate towards raw steel rims as well, but my Breeze caught my eye with color the fade and slight spatter with the rainbow rims. I always seem to find exceptions to my rules. As always, just an opinion.

11 Likes

Shameless plug here, but would you put the Sengoku Orochi down as an exception to your rule?

12 Likes

Unpopular yoyo opinion thread: just a safe place to grown up adults to rant.

7 Likes

Anodizing flaws can add character without detracting from value.

Lazer-precision is an impressive technical feat. I get why cosmetic flawlessness is prized.

I can also appreciate that some people designing and producing yo-yos want the final product to reflect a certain vision.

But I always grab ano B-grades, NQPs etc. if I can. I like the additional uniqueness, and it is a reminder to me of the human element behind the product.

Sometimes I am slightly let down by how close to perfect a B grade is when it arrives. I guess that’s why they sell them cheaper! :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Monometal over bimetal any day of the week.

20 Likes

I agree up until the final week of practice of a routine/I walk up on stage. Then the extra stability a bi-metal provides is very useful. But otherwise I primarily reach for monometals/mono-materials.

2 Likes

Laser engravings are overdone

6 Likes

Can I use this topic to hardly diss myself?

The unpopular opinion about yoyo is that I am a total idiot, I forgot that Black Friday exist (in Italy is arriving recently and in Uk where I live I do not really follow it) and I ordered from Yoyoexpert 2 yoyos yesterday without remember that I can have the same yoyos, with free shipping and even a discount a day later :man_facepalming:
I want to literally take a margherita pizza dough and slap my face with it!

12 Likes

Get to slapping, take pics!

6 Likes

This might be an actually unpopular opinion. I don’t like the phrase “throwing” or “throwers”. It sounds too much like we’re trying to be cool. I just say yoyoing or even playing yoyo lol. That being said, I have no problem with anyone saying throwing or throwers, I just personally don’t.

Also, I think anyone who takes the hobby seriously should know more than 1 style.

9 Likes

Will you accept “try to know” ? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

The phrase margherita pizza dough excuses all sins.

6 Likes

When I do something like this, I just tell myself that if I had waited for the prices to drop, everything I was going to buy would have gone out of stock.

The important part is to never go back and check to see if I am right :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Yes. As long as the effort is there

4 Likes

Don’t feel too bad, you’re in good company. I got bit by this twice this week with kendamas haha. Monday evening I ordered a Sakura Prefect from Terra, Wednesday morning they announced a 40% off sale on them. Then Thursday night I ordered a pair of Luzumakis from Sweets at 25% off only for them to announce a 40% off sale on the same damas 12 hours later :laughing:

3 Likes