What did you get in the mail for 2020/2021?

Confluence and Dove:

20 Likes

AutoZone score!!!

22 Likes

That’s cool to find a yoyo in a non-toy store. Were you expecting to find it or was it a surprise? Dylan did a review on this that he got at Auto Zone.

1 Like

I had one of those and hated it. It did work much better after replacing the awful plastic transaxle with a half-spec bearing, but I sorta feel you might as well just get a Butterfly XT instead.

2 Likes

Total surprise. Was taking a coworker for truck parts. Saw it while I was waiting.

It is deffintly gating an upgrade later😉. Or maybe I’ll leave it vanilla for nostalgia.

2 Likes

That has the Duncan Bearing Blank;

It is just a Butterfly XT rebranded with Hubcap Caps, Full C bearings drop right in there. You can also put rubber weight rings under the caps. It is what it is; a $5 yoyo found out in the wild.

6 Likes

I think that for the intended audience of the Wheels, a Butterfly XT would be a more, um, “honest” product to put on store shelves. Most folks who buy a Wheels aren’t going to modify it, or even think/know that modding is even possible, and so a yoyo that is not awful right out of its packaging would serve them far better.

2 Likes

Agree 100%, especially since they are selling them at AutoZones, it should have a ball beaing in it, Its all ball bearings these days;

3 Likes

I can imagine a few adults will buy those trying to recapture youthful feelings and then being turned off of yoyos. Is it at least good for up and down? That’s probably all Gus from the repair shop down the street would probably try to do anyway. Aren’t transaxles a thing of yesteryear anyway? Think of how Duncan could get people into yoyoing by putting a Butterfly XT that had a cap like a wheel into Auto Zone.

2 Likes

It goes up and down, but the transaxle is loose in the bearing seat, and so the yoyo makes a horrific rattling noise when thrown. It is also quite vibey, and so I think buyers could easily believe it is broken. Even if they don’t think it is broken, they would surely come away feeling it is cheaply made and not worth throwing. Contrast this with the Butterfly XT which costs Duncan the same to make–aside from the few extra cents it costs them to put a bearing instead of a plastic transaxle–but which delivers a far more satisfying play experience for the same price.

2 Likes

Has anyone gotten an rso doombot yet? I keep thinking about it but it’s just a lot for one yoyo. I wanted to know what people thought of it.

3 Likes

Why does Duncan bother with inferior junk? If Andre was in charge he’d have a nice, affordable beginner yoyo at Auto Zone. At art stores there are always amazing looking 12 or 24 color watercolor sets for $5.00. I’ve tried them all and threw them in the garbage after I tested them. I would not even give them to a child because they would turn a child away from art. These cheap sets have very little color pigment in the tubes or cakes so the colors end up looking very bland and horrible. I want to smash garbage yoyos…

2 Likes

I’ll let you know next Thursday

2 Likes

Mail day part the second!

This lovely package came in today (I got response pads too, but I do not think that y’all want to see that as much. Pictured is a Speedaholic XX, two Replay Pros, and the Corruption snuck itself in. #sorrynotsorry

11 Likes

Please let me know how you would compare the Speedaholic and Replay Pro. Comparisons are subjective, I know.

3 Likes

@ChrisFrancz Yeah sure, I would love to! I’ll give you a thorough response tmr!

1 Like

Speedaholic xx is on another level in terms of premium feel and QC. it’s outstanding.

3 Likes

12 Likes

That’s a practice blade, right? Be careful regardless!

3 Likes

This exact statement. It’s so loud my wife pulled a face the moment I threw it.

5 Likes