Should I bother making a hand turned plastic unresponsive?

Should I bother making a hand turned plastic unresponsive? Would anyone actually want one of those?

1 Like

What material? Delrin?

1 Like

UHMWPE plastic. Super tough.

1 Like

If it’s a bother no, if it’s something you would like to do then yes! You really can’t get people to commit to purchasing something until you have something they find interesting.

Besides you know you want to do it! :sunglasses:

Is UHMWPE impact resistant? I wonder if you did a plastic version of your most popular model, a la YYR Draupnir, people might be interested in that. Especially if it came with a budget price, but hand-turned is gonna be more expensive than injected I suppose.

That’s the problem, because it’s hand turned it will have to cost as much as my wooden models.

Would people even pay $70 for one of my hand turned ones when there are such good moulded plastic yoyos for cheap?

That’s too rich for my college-student blood. Are pre-orders a viable method for yoyo production? Rhythm is doing that for the Rhapsody, but besides them and the TiHumminbird I haven’t seen anyone doing that.

UHMWPE is so impact resistant that it’s claimed to be virtually unbreakable.

It’s also 15 times more abrasion resistant than carbon steel.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s kind of the issue. Wood is always going to have that shine of “handcrafted” to it that makes people feel they are getting something special. Plastic just doesn’t. That’s not to say that it’s impossible to make a run of hand turned plastic yoyos. But I think it means one would need to sell the style/image/story more than the yoyo itself.

2 Likes

Yep, I agree with that. I suppose the special factor of it is that it’s hand turned and made of an engineering plastic not usually used for yoyos.

2 Likes

Does it contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects?

UHMWPE is physiologically inert. So no.

2 Likes

Count me out then. But man ultra high molecular weight polyethylene would be pretty cool.
But no cancer, sigh.

2 Likes