Project Y - Community Updates & Comments

that would leave possibly only one left on my resolution list… but i guess it would be pretty easy to sponsor that contest if you were entering :wink:

3 Likes

Took one of my 10 minute teaching breaks to film some of my favorite “thinking tricks” with this beast. A bit sloppy because I was short on time but man does this thing slay!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKeiRvIhgza/?igshid=wq1ac48mpm1y

8 Likes

going to try it… hope you don’t mind the collab @FewandFarBetween

9 Likes

Not at all! We love it!

4 Likes

my neighbors, not so much… well… maybe they were just
curious. a 43 y/o man blaring jump-up at dusk in the front yard like our buddy andrew… though not even marginally as talented… i’m
going to relace with a fresh string i think :thinking:

6 Likes

My kinda party!!!

3 Likes

Project Y: Pre-Info Announcement

Project Y - Description and Background

Project Y came about as a Yoyo Project of chance. Many ‘Group Yoyo’ ideas have been posited for and discussed in the FSYB - colorways, engravings, models and the like. While some have gone further than just discussions, one has been most visible.

Project Y was not something I wanted to be designed as “MY perfect yoyo”. It was more about a yoyo for the time, and for the community… for the place for the time. I’m not saying it’s what ‘they’ want, I’m not trying to tell anyone what they want… I’m just saying what I wanted to make. There were many conversations that I had with family, friends and peers that provided inspiration and contribution to this project.

I wanted to design and create a ground-up yoyo. And, though I never intended on having a yoyo made, I thought if I did, I’d like
@hobbygod to be the designer. I have enjoyed watching his design work progress, I like the pieces he has created, he is a great member of the community, and I felt we have always had a very good communicative relationship. He and I have very similar tastes in throws, I appreciate his unique style, and I appreciate him.

The moniker for Project Y was based on necessity and timing - 2021 had just started, and Project Z had already been labeled, yet based on it’s thematic content. The sudden arise of this Project inspiration, and subsequent design discussions, led to an inverse logical projection then determined all unnamed Projects will be denoted reverse alphabetically until titled. Yet, Project Y stuck, despite the schwall being a popular and standout feature… While our naming convention may sound confusing, it’s likely more frustrating for Project Personnel…

The interior profile design of the yoyo is a “schwall”, featuring an exaggerated well along the steep wall with a moderate response bump, providing smooth binds and plenty of room for string layering. It is a power-forward throw, designed to take advantage of it’s weight placement. It is also stable, very.

The size and shape fit comfortably in the hand, and combine well with the finish for a nice tactile experience. The cup face and rim are flat, leaving room for painting, engraving, etc. There is an adequate IGR, however. (Note: some of these comments can be interpreted as subjectively objective, and some tester feedback may also be helpful…)

Inspirations for this yoyo include the MFD EvilYo, Oxygene Oxy5, CLYW x OD Wooly Markmont, and the RSO Doombot.

The yoyo is manufactured of 7068 AL and is 53 x 42mm at 63.5g. The gap is the inside distance measured between the two halves at the bearing.

I plan on having these ready to deliver for the second week of March (though I could have them as soon as last week of February).

More info regarding timing, reservations/getting one, etc. you’ll be able to find on IG at FairTradeYoyos or FatGuySnacks

The yoyo will be delivered in a 3" x 3" x 2" kraft box with a stamped one-color logo on top (see attached pic for stamp), a tribute to the DIY ethos of the early influences of this yoyo, as well as the punk/hip-hop/dj background of my wife, and myself - and the influences that brought our FSYB fam and us here.

Inside the box, you will find:

• your selected yoyo, safely wrapped in a sheet of paper that contain sketches and notes of the original concept, as well as some final design notes

• a single white Monkeyfinger Designs Vines String (shout out!)

• a 1" colored foam cube, paying homage to the foam cubes that served and secured other yoyos in place before them (one shown isn’t accurate)

• a birchwood letter ‘Y’ Scrabble tile , thus completing Project Y

Color Choices

• ‘Secret Squirrel’ Black (or w/engraving*) - Proto color (Secret Pantone) (ALL BLACK ENGRAVED CLAIMED)

• ‘What’s Wrong With’ Purple ( or w/engraving*) - chosen by @d4nnyb0yy (Pantone 2089, similar to fiestaware plate in picture)
    (NOTE: ALL PURPLE ENGRAVED CLAIMED)

• ‘CatSnacks’ Red & Blue Acid-wash - chosen by Snacks’ kiddo (Pantone 2171 & 2347)

• Raws (ALL RAW CLAIMED)

*engraving is FSYB eyes centered in cup approximately 1” across; 10 each of Purple & Black engraved, see mock-up below

HMU or post with questions!!!

20 Likes

There better be some half swaps(other than mine) when people get these.

7 Likes

Probably one or two…

3 Likes

updated some
pics

6 Likes

some mock-ups i made for the manufacturer… the image will be approximately 1” across

17 Likes

i made a purple mock-up too… been dustin off some of the old graphics skills :wink:

let me
know what you guys think! (i know it’s not perfect)

15 Likes

Yeah that is the one I want for sure

4 Likes

Looks dope if you ask me. Got me thinking about copping 2 :thinking:

3 Likes

Just a quick heads-up…

All Purple & Black Engraved are Reserved… :sweat_smile:

Available
—————————

• Black Solid
  • Purple Solid
  • CatSnacks
7 Likes

One of the FSYB Admins took these shots… same black
throw, different light cast

9 Likes

Alright kids, quick update regarding the CatSnacks Colorway. It’s been determined through discussions through our manufacturer and artist/designer that the CatSnacks Colorway will be more better realized with a purple ‘acid wash’ base (as opposed to red) with the a blue ‘splatter’ (original
blue shown)…

the purple is a darker purple than the solid production purple.

NOTE: the CatSnacks Colorway will
be beadblasted as well

prototypes for pv44 will be arriving simultaneously

5 Likes

PV44… interesting. Any insight into the meaning of the name? Any relation to the FD Mod 44?

1 Like

no, not at all… not sure where they got their name, BUT…

as mentioned in an earlier post (somewhere above :sweat_smile:), Projects are titled alphabetically backwards starting from the initial Project Z (titled coded for another reason) until they have a formal name. in this instance, Project V needed a unique identifier from Project Y rather quickly, and as the final width adjustment was decided on a comfortable 44mm, PV44 became the interim adopted moniker as we moved through the final design to prototype.

also, Project Z is officially titled NIKA :eyes:

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. I appreciate the scoop. So much going on I can’t keep track! And my B for not reading the whole thread. Or maybe I did and forgot…

3 Likes