Old School Throws: Titanium - Tungsten Bimetal

I love the solid purples that you posted on your Instagram! They look amazing!

3 Likes

It’s been an interesting day. I woke up to a seemingly innocent email asking if Old School Throws ships to Scotland and if we accept credit cards. I answered yes to both and thought nothing of the encounter. At 2:34 PM I received a follow up email… asking to buy 42 Quints in a variety of colorways. Now I’m thinking this is uber sketchy but I replied anyway. A simple google search showed this email address tries to buy in bulk, force you to use their “carrier”, and somehow wiggle out of paying. Get out of here scammer!

2 Likes

The Quint is really, really good. Always gets compliments when I bring it to club meetups. :bowing_man: Kudos @mrciurleo

3 Likes

I appreciate it! Some new stuff coming soon :grinning:

3 Likes

Looking for anyone to sponsor?:wink:

3 Likes

Hey guys! Sorry for being quiet for so long! School started in late August and unfortunately I haven’t had too much time to think about yoyos during the semester.

Since our last post in late July, we released our second model, the VI IX, with A-rt. Getting to work with Jensen and Charles was really cool, especially because I’ve been a Jensen fan since his 2010 routine at Worlds and Charles’s Cabin Tutorials were among the first advanced tricks I learned. Definitely a small and nerdy starstruck moment :slight_smile:

Recognizing that I won’t have the same amount of time to devote to yoyos as before, I decided that Old School Throws will really try focus on doing something new with each release. It’s been interesting to watch the yoyo market change over time and how in the past few years, two polar opposite designs have become popular: bimetals and slimlines.

Since Yoyorecreation’s 2013 release of the Draupnir, bimetals have exploded. There’s no argument that, on average, bimetals have far superior weight distribution possibilities than monometals and as such, have become the go-to. On the other hand, there has been a smaller resurgence in slimlines. From responsive to unresponsive and delrin to titanium, they’re back. The immense success of the Gamer has been really cool to see and I think it’s awesome that people are enjoying the variety of slims available today.

However, with the exception of the sub-50g 1998 HSpin Handquake, nobody has combined the two. I personally love older shapes (if you couldn’t tell :smile:) and am partial to unresponsive play. That’s why I decided our third model would be a bimetal slimline. The goal was to force as much stability into a narrow frame as possible. After a small change from the proto, we’ve done just that! We’ve dropped a few photos on the company Instagram but haven’t yet had time to process them and get them ready for sale. Good news is, winter break is coming so get hyped for a January release :sunglasses:

If you haven’t done so already, check us out!

Old School Throws Instagram

11 Likes

The new slim line looks pretty exciting. Will it be responsive/semi-responsive or unresponsive. Also did you have any more of those Quints laying around, I’m a bit late to the game. I love the organic shape.

4 Likes

Fully unresponsive! And sure, send me a PM, I have a couple leftover :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

We finally came up with a name… the Resto! Short for restoration, it’s like throwing new parts in an old car! image

16 Likes

I love it

3 Likes

Looks like a Gorge?

3 Likes

Gorge is 39.4mm wide and 66g. This guy is 31.4 mm wide and 56g!

6 Likes

So a mini-gorge then? :wink:

4 Likes

You’ll have to see for yourself :crazy_face:

In all honestly I really can’t say, as I’ve never played the Gorge. In a sense that it’s an organic-ish bimetal, sure. The inspiration for this was the H-Spin Handquake, a bimetal from 1998. It’s cool that Chris (owner of HSpin) has the foresight to throw rings on a yoyo twenty years ago. Here it is: Handquake

Edit: Just realized on PC that the emoji looks really weird on a non-Apple device…

7 Likes

Looks really nice Matt. I actually thought it was an homage to the Hspin G&Es.

5 Likes

Looks great! How much are they gonna be?

4 Likes

That looks cleeeeean!!!

3 Likes

Solids will be $75!

8 Likes

Sweet, looking forward to it. I will definitely pick one up. Are there going to be splashes as well?

3 Likes