Old School Throws: Titanium - Tungsten Bimetal

Hello everyone, my name is Matt and I am here to officially introduce Old School Throws.

The company’s primary goal is to reintroduce organic throws to a market dominated by competition oriented yoyos that are often v or h shaped in design.

The inspiration for this company came from years of playing with yoyos from the 2000-2010 era. I started yoyoing in 2009 but wasn’t serious until 2013. At the time, I was infatuated with the General-Yo Hatrick, thus sparking my love for small diameter organics. Over the course of the next few years, I bought, sold, and collected nearly 200 yoyos from this era.

Getting to try out all of these yoyos not only refined my preferences, but also gave me insight as to what I wanted to add to the market. For years I’ve been playing with different specs, trying to find the perfect combination that would yield a high quality throw that includes my favorite characteristics of last decade’s yoyos.

I’ve always wanted to make my own throw and the time has finally arrived! I am proud to present our first release, the Quint. Drawing inspiration from the Sili Dert, the Quint features a 36.60 mm frame and a 52.55 mm diameter. Weighing in at just under 63 grams, the Quint is probably considered undersized by today’s standards, but would have been classified as mid-sized back in the day.

Here are some photos of the prototypes. The last photo is the proto next to the Sili Dert.

The production run will feature rounded rims rather than the sharp rims of the protos. Originally I wanted to infuse the old school profile with today’s love for a lot of rim weight. However, for both aesthetic and play reasons, I rounded the rims and moved the weight towards the center to make the yoyo play even floatier than before. The final specs should be very close to the protos.

The first release should be around mid-August. I have all of the packaging, stickers, etc but am still waiting for the actual yoyos to arrive.

Check out our Facebook and Instagram to see what we’re up to!

IG: Old School Throws (user:oldschoolthrows)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/oldschoolthrows/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I can’t wait to see what you all think of the Quint!

22 Likes

Facebook page is live! Be sure to check it out, like, and follow! We will be giving away a prototype in a few days and releasing the Quint in mid-July/early August! We appreciate the support!

3 Likes

Our prototype giveaway is now open and will close Monday 6/26 at 8PM EST.

To participate on Instagram, follow the instructions on our last post, found here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVssfUJAFxC/

To participate on Facebook, follow the instructions on our last post, found here:

Good luck!

2 Likes

Quints will be available early August! Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure:

6 Likes

Those look hot! How can I make sure I get one?

2 Likes

Thank you! PM sent.

2 Likes

Those look great! I love the more organic shapes. Great idea and concept! How much do they cost?

3 Likes

How much are they?

2 Likes

I believe they are $70 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is what I paid, plus $3 to cover shipping

2 Likes

As mentioned, $70! Shipping is a flat rate in the US and varying based on where you are globally. Site is almost done!

2 Likes

The wait is over! The official release date has been set! The Quints will release at 8:30 PM EST on Friday August, 25 2017. I didn’t want the first release to be overshadowed by Worlds so pushing the release back a few weeks seemed like the best option.

2 Likes

Sweet ! Website ?

2 Likes

Since it’s a store I can’t post a link, but I’ll send you a PM.

2 Likes

Don’t miss out guys! This thing is freaking sweet

3 Likes

Second giveaway to be announced soon!

2 Likes

Hey guys!  We want to give away a Navy Blue Quint!  See the instructions on our last Instagram post found here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFr8QSgasD/?taken-by=oldschoolthrows

2 Likes

Seems like everyone liked the clear protos, so we finally made a run of clears!

4 Likes

Hey guys! I’m looking for a few people to try out the Quint. I just ask you have some organics on hand to compare it to. Send me a message if you’re interested!

2 Likes

Lot of replies! Testers set, thanks everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes